Apple Event April 2021: New 24" M1 iMac, Touch ID keyboard, Airtag

i don't get that at all; this is a not a laptop

Yes it's not a laptop, it's an iMac. Did I miss something.

haha, yes. and did you read the rest of my post? i can't see any benefit to an intel imac over the new one, and my point was you can use external drives if you need more than 2TB... not like you have to carry an external around (unless you carry an imac around... :shock: )

16 gig is terrible :shock:

Again, these are entry level machines, and 16GB is the maximum the M1 chip supports, which we already know from the previous M1-equipped machines.

The next M-chip, which will undoubtedly be used in the higher end machines, will support higher memory configurations.

The M1 is for all the lowest end Macs. The higher end machines are all still Intel. We're waiting for the M1X (or whatever it will be called) and expect them in higher end Mac Mini's, Macbook Pros, and iMacs, to replace their current Intel equivalents.

16 gig is terrible :shock:

Again, these are entry level machines, and 16GB is the maximum the M1 chip supports, which we already know from the previous M1-equipped machines.

The next M-chip, which will undoubtedly be used in the higher end machines, will support higher memory configurations.

The M1 is for all the lowest end Macs. The higher end machines are all still Intel. We're waiting for the M1X (or whatever it will be called) and expect them in higher end Mac Mini's, Macbook Pros, and iMacs, to replace their current Intel equivalents.

Oh really? I miss that part. I have not done much research on the M1 chip.

Then I think I have a difficult situation. Suppose I want a new Mac this year, I have to wait until that even newer special M1 comes out. I better get an iMac with an M1 chip than Intel core I would think. 27 inch M1 chip should be nice in the future.

16 gig is terrible :shock: I hope there wil be more. 24 inch seems me very nice.

I'm excited.

ram works differently with the M1 chip (you can google to read up on this). i mean, i can do everything i need to do on my intel mac (in logic and final cut) with 16gb ram; on the M1 macs, 16gb is a whole other thing...

Just watched today’s event. Anybody else noticed during the iMac presentation, the part with the dude in the lab, all the iMacs on the tables are running Logic Pro? I mean, what does this mean? A hidden message from Apple?

Blink

I noticed this instantly as well. I got so pumped for some type of update today, lol.

The announcement of the iPad Pro with Thunderbolt connectivity, I speculate, will result in an “optimized for iPad” version of Logic before units ship mid-May.

Sorry to be so despondent about this new iMac!

I, and many others have been holding out for years for a new iMac in the hope that there would be an all new one, rid of the terrible chin, more i/o and be a bit bigger, say 30". and 16gbRAM MAX!? Pro Tools needs this minimum, as stated on their latest specs.

Hoping that there will be a new 27" one thats 30" and with more i/o and RAM.

The colours do nothing for me, will look fine in the reception area of a hairdressers!

Again, sorry to sound so disappointed! I was wrong about the ethernet port, it does have one, as many of you have pointed out, which is great.

The thinness is great too, if it were a laptop, but I am never walking around the side of my desk to check how thin it is really.

Mmm, after all this time waiting, still stuck with my 2015 15" Macbook Pro 2.8 16gb RAM and a Apple 27 Display screen, which I love. Will there be a bigger more powerful iMac? hope so.

I think they look great, digging the colour options, and the M1 already proven in use - a really great 24" desktop machine that offers a massive scope of uses.

This lower/initial tier of M1 devices are killer (imo), the larger/greater models will be another level. The chin just isn't an issue for me, if you've ever had to pull an iMac apart there's a reason it's there - I'd rather it exists than have sacrifices in the design which could affect reliability in the longterm, or would mean having less capable integrated speakers.

That said, I'm quite utilitarian when it comes to computers. I think that's why this straight up, simple design really appeals to me.

This lower/initial tier of M1 devices are killer (imo), the larger/greater models will be another level. The chin just isn't an issue for me, if you've ever had to pull an iMac apart there's a reason it's there - I'd rather it exists than have sacrifices in the design which could affect reliability in the longterm, or would mean having less capable integrated speakers.

That said, I'm quite utilitarian when it comes to computers. I think that's why this straight up, simple design really appeals to me.

I really love the new design, but the reason that like Kerochan, I'm a bit disappointed by the chin is that there were rumors that it would disappear and look pretty much like an Apple Pro Display, and be height adjustable. So once you've set expectations, it's hard not to be disappointed. But otherwise I agree that the new lighter, smaller design is stunning.

1519361831_AppleProDisplay.jpg.febf5834376103d003f518a3a53a582f.jpg

Having worked mostly on a laptop these past few years I realize that I feel much more comfortable with the screen positioned below my eyesight. When I get in front of the 24" iMac I feel like the screen is too high, I have to tilt my head up in an unnatural way and that puts strain on my neck. Ideally I would love to have a setup where the screen is recessed into the desk, so that I can look down at it the same way you would look at a book laying flat on your desk:

745959097_recessedscreen.jpg.df6d7636898d78070efae42bb801a3ed.jpg

I agree with David about the screen angle - I'm predominantly laptop based, and I prefer to look down upon the screen rather up to a vertical, higher-positioned screen, at least for primary work where there's a lot of intensive concentrated typing effort (like constructing the perfect forum post! ;) )

Agree also on the chin, which is where they have been placing the actual computer. I think I'd prefer a thicker design, where the computer was behind the screen, and no chin. The chin though is iconic to the modern iMac though, but I thought it looked better on the previous generation machines.

The white screen bevels though I find very ugly, but as consumer machines I guess they wanted them to be happier and brighter feeling...

16 gig is terrible :shock: I hope there wil be more. 24 inch seems me very nice.

I'm excited.

ram works differently with the M1 chip (you can google to read up on this). i mean, i can do everything i need to do on my intel mac (in logic and final cut) with 16gb ram; on the M1 macs, 16gb is a whole other thing...

Really? I have problems with 16GB RAM. I can't open many apps inclusive Logic Pro without my mac being very hot, and slow.

Really? I have problems with 16GB RAM. I can't open many apps inclusive Logic Pro without my mac being very hot, and slow.

Something's definitely wrong then. I run large-ish projects without issues on my 4GB MacBook Air.

screen capture.png

I have to say, my iMac is 10 years old and fans are also full of dust, I think.

Furthermore, I would have no other explanation for this.

maybe not the ram... check activity monitor, see what's eating up memory tho. try rebooting, and opening only logic... then working. so many variables (and hard to tell from here what the problem is).

i live on my macbook, and use the imac (almost) exclusively for logic and final cut. and i have yet to work on a project and have any real issues (i hear the fans often, when bouncing audio, or exporting video). but no memory issues in 2 years (this is a 2019 imac).

on another note... i hear people about the imac chin, but... that would never stop me from getting an imac (if that's what i want). i look at the screen, not the chin (or the wall above my mac, or the stand...).

if this is the design, and it accomodates the screen and the electronics, then so it goes.

and the height is fine (at my desk, anyway). i got an imac because my GF yelled at me for constantly leaning into my 13" macbook pro, and it was a game-changer.

anyway, with the M1, this is, at least, more powerful than my intel imac. smaller size (smaller than my 21"!), bigger, better screen. great specs and features. and if you don't like the colors, silver is as neutral and 'computer-traditional' as could be.

i think it's a great mac.

david! track 17, measure 32... there's a flat note! (just trying to be helpful...)

Dude. Seriously? That's the purple note. It's flat on purpose.

P.S.: Anyone else here thinking that Prince would have been all over that new purple iPhone 12!? :lol:

'flat on purpose'... how many times have i heard singers or musicians say that? let's just say 'i flex(pitch) a lot'...

prince? definitely! am sure he & jobs are vibing on it in heaven (oh, wait... maybe just prince in heaven.). but harold says he already ordered the new iphone...

834911447_ScreenShot2021-04-21at8_19_49AM.png.e8437d15f5464b1d199df4c89e1e41ba.png

maybe not the ram... check activity monitor, see what's eating up memory tho. try rebooting, and opening only logic... then working. so many variables (and hard to tell from here what the problem is).

i live on my macbook, and use the imac (almost) exclusively for logic and final cut. and i have yet to work on a project and have any real issues (i hear the fans often, when bouncing audio, or exporting video). but no memory issues in 2 years (this is a 2019 imac).

on another note... i hear people about the imac chin, but... that would never stop me from getting an imac (if that's what i want). i look at the screen, not the chin (or the wall above my mac, or the stand...).

if this is the design, and it accomodates the screen and the electronics, then so it goes.

and the height is fine (at my desk, anyway). i got an imac because my GF yelled at me for constantly leaning into my 13" macbook pro, and it was a game-changer.

anyway, with the M1, this is, at least, more powerful than my intel imac. smaller size (smaller than my 21"!), bigger, better screen. great specs and features. and if you don't like the colors, silver is as neutral and 'computer-traditional' as could be.

i think it's a great mac.

I never use the activity monitor, what should I pay attention to?

But my iMac is old so, I don't think it can be anything else then the dusty fans, and being a old mac.

A new Apple TV remote that walks back on the terrible design of the existing remote is the main advantage...

I'm getting a smart TV in a few months (for the first time in years). What does Apple TV bring to the plate that I can't already do on the Smart TV? I honestly have been falling way behind on that tech, and have no idea. :shock:

After working my way through most of the streaming boxes, I ended up with an Apple TV.

The picture quality is stunning, and the whole system is considerably more responsive than others I've used.

Of course if you're already in the Apple ecosystem, then that's a benefit too. It backs up and syncs with iCloud like other devices, works with iPhones, HomePods and AirPlay 2 etc.

We also use ours as a HomeKit hub to automate our home. So over time it's become pretty useful.

I never use the activity monitor, what should I pay attention to?

But my iMac is old so, I don't think it can be anything else then the dusty fans, and being a old mac.

look at what uses up cpu (processing power), and memory. & try the reboot trick, it helped on my (previous) macbook pro. make sure when you restart no apps are set to reopen. and again, open only logic, see how things go. plus (as david said), you can clean the fans (google this! proceed carefully)...

you know you can do ilok in software? i haven't seen the ilok dongle in years (it's probably at the bottom of a drawer).

Not for everything. Some software still requires a hardware dongle, and doesn't support HD authorisation (it's a weaker protection). Almost everything iLok I have supports HD auths and that's the way I prefer to go. The one thing I have that doesn't support HD auths does support iLok Cloud as opposed to the physical dongle, so that's the way I use that. My iLok dongle is an old V1 iLok anyway, so doesn't support the current dongle auths that require iLok V2 or V3...