Apple Event April 2021: New 24" M1 iMac, Touch ID keyboard, Airtag

If I ever dived into one of these new iMac's, I think it would be under the acceptance that I am no longer a 'power' user - that doesn't in any way discredit what I do. But in M1 world I sincerely feel that - despite previously owning Mac Pro's historically - The current M1 iMac's would deliver all that I need.

Based on the most recent top line products, The new 'pro' line is going to be 2-3x the price, surely?

It's become very evident that both in regards of finance and requirements, I'm far more in the ballpark of these M1 machines than the New/2018 Mac Pro, or the iMac Pro's.

let's see what comes next. i would think the next imacs will replace the first-gen M1s, not be another line... in which case, they're a long way off; but pricing should be consistent. am sure will see a new mac pro, but that's a whole other thing (just as it is now). the imac pro is dead, and deserves to be.

my theory (and it's just that) is, we'll see evolutions of the air, the macbook pro, the imacs, the mini, and the mac pro... not other variants.

but this is apple, so... no one knows until we get there.

the imac pro is dead, and deserves to be. my theory (and it's just that) is, we'll see evolutions of the air, the macbook pro, the imacs, the mini, and the mac pro... not other variants.

That's an interesting take, I've not considered that. And, it does play into this new breed of highly efficient computing that Apple are rapidly establishing. Perhaps they're not interested in the old 'powerhouse' models anymore.

I know from a laptop/macbook perspective - The 15+ hour battery may be something they're keen to maintain, as that's a killer feature, but when it comes with performance too - wow!

I suppose, if they're ultimately wanting to achieve some kind of parity across desktop and mobile/tablet style devices this also plays into their plan - as long as everything fits within the same box, but is somewhat scalable... And as you say, more progressive than re-inventive.

....You may be right about something for the first time FK, but I doubt it. ;)

The major thing I don't like about them at the moment is their cost in the EU. €1499 for the basic iMac. Uh uh. The better model? €1699! Without RAM or SSD upgrades. Given these choices, I'd just get the Mini, but there again, I'd want 16gb, and I'd pay not only the premium for that, but also €100 more than if I were to buy through Amazon. Hopefully, my wife's Mini will be what I need.

Aesthetically, I don't like white bezels.

Prices are €1,449 and €1,669 respectively here in France. Not sure what the price jump will be for 16GB RAM exactly? But yeah I'm not a fan of the colors and white bezels either> I like the form factor and even the 24" screen but would rather a more "pro" look to the machine, Waiting to see what's next. :D

You're right on the prices, but still. +€230 for 16 gb RAM, at least on the Mini. Also, last time I looked, the basic Mini could be had for under €700. Apple charges €799, and they're basically the only game in town for upgrades. I expect the same pattern to unfold with the iMacs.

If the basic Mini model isn't enough, I'll bite the bullet and get the 16gb model. I don't think I have to wait for anything more pro, because the M1 will do what I need it to do.

The M1 will be a huge upgrade for everything I'm doing, but I'm not just thinking about for now - my current machine has lasted 10 years, and I'd probably expect my next one to be in use for the next ten years - so a bit more of an investment upfront in term of specs usually results in a more useful machine for longer...

the imac pro is dead, and deserves to be. my theory (and it's just that) is, we'll see evolutions of the air, the macbook pro, the imacs, the mini, and the mac pro... not other variants.

That's an interesting take, I've not considered that. And, it does play into this new breed of highly efficient computing that Apple are rapidly establishing. Perhaps they're not interested in the old 'powerhouse' models anymore.

I know from a laptop/macbook perspective - The 15+ hour battery may be something they're keen to maintain, as that's a killer feature, but when it comes with performance too - wow!

I suppose, if they're ultimately wanting to achieve some kind of parity across desktop and mobile/tablet style devices this also plays into their plan - as long as everything fits within the same box, but is somewhat scalable... And as you say, more progressive than re-inventive.

....You may be right about something for the first time FK, but I doubt it. ;)

you may have missed it, but i've been right (on this forum, and if life) 98.7% of the time... so you can trust me on this. i am 100% sure that my theory is theoritical, and 100% sure that what i've predicted will or will not happen.

The M1 will be a huge upgrade for everything I'm doing, but I'm not just thinking about for now - my current machine has lasted 10 years, and I'd probably expect my next one to be in use for the next ten years

Well, on the flip of that would you prefer to make a 2k investment every 10 years and spend the final 3-4 of those years out-dated, or spend 1k every 4-5 years on current tech? That's the question I'm asking myself, as I historically like to invest in powerful machines that last 7+ years too.

The biggest problem I have with sitting on such old hardware, is that my external components are also terribly out-dated. I'm still running Firewire interface, 1080P HDMI Displays, USB 7200RPM drives for backup etc. A refresh every 5 years would probably see me in a better state.

Instead I held on too long for the 'new' Mac Pro which was way out of my league anyway, and ended up using a Windows machine to get the power I need at a sensible price. With M1 though, the tables have well and truly been turned - I don't see any equivalent out there right now, particularly in the Mini/Macbook line.

How many degrees of confidence?

"Very" degrees of confidence.

Well, on the flip of that would you prefer to make a 2k investment every 10 years and spend the final 3-4 of those years out-dated, or spend 1k every 4-5 years on current tech? That's the question I'm asking myself, as I historically like to invest in powerful machines that last 7+ years too.

I just make the most sensible purchase decision I can at the time, based on surveying what the options are...

In my book, an entry level 21 inches M1 iMac would be interesting too. Anyone thinks Apple is considering to offer that option later this year?

no, the 24" is the new 21" imac. more likely, we'll see a 30" imac by the summer or fall. so probably just those 2 sizes over the next few years (but again, this is apple, and anything is possible)...

EDIT: interesting that the 24" imac is in every way, smaller than my 21" intel imac. this is the 'new small'...

Hi. I am a new user from Norway, been composing on the Performa 450 up to today.

I did an analysis of the Mac Mini versus the Macbook - and the old iMac. And I counted exactly how much you paid extra for having that screen on iMac - and that mobility with Macbook. And the result was that I could have a Mac Mini with 16 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD for the price of an Imac.

Today, it is even easier to compare all the models, and to make a choice what you need. These are my conclusions:

Buying Mac for Home Studio - with a decent amount of high demanding sample libraries and Logic Pro:

a) If you need it all to be internal, buy the Mac Mini Christmas 2021 or later. With 16 RAM and 1 TB SSD.

b) if you need to have alot of different libraries and projects, you may buy a Mac Mini, with lower specs, but a Sabrent SSD with the quickest of speed and Thunderbolt 3.

c) If you need to do alot of streaming, or want the screen, wait until a iMac Pro or iMac 32 inch. Extend to 16GB Ram, and invest in Sabrent SSD on the side, which will last you through a couple of Mac machines.

d) If you need a Macbook, upgrade the ram - and choose between internal ssd or external ssd from sabrent or similar. Maybe Macbooks will wear and tear quicker than a mac at home.

My choice:

I will go for the Mac Mini in choice a)

But recently I am thinking of the iMac with lowest spec also. Because I do not know if I will be working from home, and I am tired of my Macbook + external screen set up. I do not bring my Macbook anywhere anyway.

Don't forget there's a high-end Intel Mac Mini that's still due for replacement, likely with an "M1X" model with more CPU horsepower and power options. But yes, the Mac Mini is certainly for me in with the options I'll be looking at when the Mac range settles down and the Intel ones, bar the Mac Pro, have been replaced by equivalent M-chip models...

What's the difference between the M1 GPU and the AMD Radeon Pro versions?

Because for the new 24 inch iMac you can't choose a GPU.

And which one is better?

Basically everything is different with the M1 chip.

You have to forget the way you were thinking about Intel chips and RAM usage and specs. The M1 is just an insanely fast chip for many use cases. This includes graphics use. The M1 has eight GPU cores. Look on YouTube for comparisons. The general consensus by now is that the M1 chip is better than everything else except for gaming.(For now). If you want Logic to work well, just go for the M1 and don’t think about how it works or is the RAM enough etc. Just use it and you will be amazed. If you are a film score composer, maybe wait for the next version. If not, M1 is here and is very capable.

What's the difference between the M1 GPU and the AMD Radeon Pro versions?

Because for the new 24 inch iMac you can't choose a GPU.

And which one is better?

Basically everything is different with the M1 chip.

You have to forget the way you were thinking about Intel chips and RAM usage and specs. The M1 is just an insanely fast chip for many use cases. This includes graphics use. The M1 has eight GPU cores. Look on YouTube for comparisons. The general consensus by now is that the M1 chip is better than everything else except for gaming.(For now). If you want Logic to work well, just go for the M1 and don’t think about how it works or is the RAM enough etc. Just use it and you will be amazed. If you are a film score composer, maybe wait for the next version. If not, M1 is here and is very capable.

Thanks!! If it is enough for music production. I considering to go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
my theory is, we'll see new macbook pros (maybe the rumored 14" and 16"), with the M1X this summer.

and we're headed towards an M1X mac pro (for the 12 people in the world who own the current mac pro).

I’m waiting for the new MacBook Pro 16 w/M1 or M2 because I still like the portability and taking everything with me. What I noticed this week is a flurry of 2020 MacBook Pro 16” i9 laptops for sale. I think Mac fanatics are ditching their recent MacBook Pro’s before the M1 version is released in July. There are some great deals, like 30% off new on MacBooks that are only 1 year old. As much as I’m excited about the M1/M2 chips, these i9 machines are very powerful and maybe half-the-price of a new M1 MacBook. It’s tempting..... very tempting.

I've read that those can get quite warm. I wouldn't buy an Intel machine now.

I am really sceptical that the avg. user, like me, will push my M1 Mini to constantly overload. A project on my iMac (specs below) will give an overload message as soon as ADD 2 kicks in in the 2nd verse. The M1 Mini, 8 gb RAM, handles it easily. And it doesn't get warm. At all. IMO, for my needs, the next generation M chip will be overkill. I'm going to put the basic Mini through its paces, and evaluate whether I need the 16gb RAM model. I bought the Mini in January, but health has prevented me from tryng to make the M1 sweat in a real life situation.

They are very tempting but I will wait for the 32 inch model which will probably have a more powerful M chip. Might be announced at WWDC along with Logic 11 :mrgreen:

I opted to start here and then wade my way through the later ones to see if there's any concrete answer to this. But I too am looking forward to what Logic is gonna look and act like on the newer machines. I'm totally not getting a Mac. I just don't like the colors. I'll wait for what the new 'Books can do, and then determine if it's finally time to at least leap up into one with TB 3 ports... (HAH!)

~oH~

we should see new macbook pros by july (or september?); and with an updated chip. rumors are 14" and 16" screens... seems 'logical', but, as with all things apple... we'll know when we get there.

i may replace my (beloved!) imac with a 14" MBP... or not. i may shave my head tonite (or not).

anything is possible 8-)

Absolutely love using Logic on my new M1 Mac Mini. Instantaneous responses to every click is amazing. My 1st completed mix using native version of Logic + PA & Waves plugins & the mini never got above 118 degrees. CPU usage never went above 30%. Fan has yet to be heard. I am looking forward to creating without CPU limitations in the future!

• 2 weeks later...