Apple Event April 2021: New 24" M1 iMac, Touch ID keyboard, Airtag

Any of you watched the Apple Event today? What are you thinking?

• New 24" M1 iMac (I may very well get one — or should I wait for the 38" model? :lol:)

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/imac

• Available in 7 different colors (Blue, Green, Pink, Silver, Yellow, Orange, Purple)
  • Flat-screen design
  • 8 Core CPU
  • 7 or 8 Core GPU
  • 256 to 512 GB storage
  • 8GB unified memory
  • 24-inch 4.5K Retina display²
  • Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports
  • Magic Keyboard
  • Touch ID (on some models)
  • Two USB 3 ports (on some models)
  • Gigabit Ethernet (on some models)
  • From $1,299.00 to $1,699.00

835640326_M1iMac.png.53d01dd3c8d035da7a5b9984f54ff23f.png

• Touch ID keyboard (good to make sure kids don't use my Mac while I'm away)

• Airtag (looks like something I could use so that I can "FindMyKeys" :mrgreen:)

• Apple TV (not sure what it brings to the plate exactly that I would be interested in, have to look into it)

ha, i started a thread about the imac, but on the music production techniques forum... thought davidI MEAN you'd want to move it there (if i started it here):

https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157020

the new apple tv does 4k, dolbyvision, etc; what interests me (but am not getting one) is the option to use your iphone with your tv screen... to get the color setup. that's cool. (the new remote is impressive too).

• Apple TV (not sure what it brings to the plate exactly that I would be interested in, have to look into it)

A new Apple TV remote that walks back on the terrible design of the existing remote is the main advantage...

I'd expect WWDC for M1X machines... I don't really like the new M-series iMac design that much, I find the white bezels and coloured front distracting and think they are less slick looking than the older ones. They look nice from the back though, which means most owners won't benefit from seeing it apart from when the unbox it...

Edited by des99

A new Apple TV remote that walks back on the terrible design of the existing remote is the main advantage...

i think the screen calibration-with-iphone thing is the prize-winning idea here (but the remote is close).

I'm getting a smart TV in a few months (for the first time in years). What does Apple TV bring to the plate that I can't already do on the Smart TV? I honestly have been falling way behind on that tech, and have no idea. :shock:

They look nice from the back though, which means most owners won't benefit from seeing it apart from when the unbox it...

I suppose that makes them the ultimate "reception desk" machines. :roll:

I can see how you would probably get tired of a colored one pretty quickly. But if you get a silver one then the issue is solved isn't it?

I suppose that makes them the ultimate "reception desk" machines.

Especially in "funky* receptions, like recording studios, tech/software developers, media companies etc. I like the orange in particular (orange is kinda my jam!) But not necessarily right under the screen, it's a bit of a problem for doing colour work (video/film/photo/graphics/3D/design etc), particularly if you're using a colour palette for your design that's *very* clashy with the case colour...

But if you get a silver one then the issue is solved isn't it?

Not really. You still have the white screen bevels (ugh!) and it's still ugly. The previous design, while it's been around for a while, was pretty elegant and attractive (although the bulging screen was less nice from the side.)

Still, more Mac stuff, more M-chips - progress...! Bring on the Macbook Pros, don't make them purple, chuck in a free 1TB system SSD and drop the price by $500 or so and I will approve of those too..! ;)

Edited by des99

To me its a disappointing release, daft infantile colours, no ethernet port, and it STILL has the chin! no thanks!

Just my thoughts, and where is the bigger iMac?

24" screen (so, bigger than the 21"), ethernet is now on the power brick (so yes, ethernet)... and the chin? look at the thinness of this thing... they've fit everything in! plus, you can get the silver, which is a 'traditional computer color'. nothing wrong with any of it (as far as i can see).

Same processor as the Mini, same inputs. Just not the 4.5k Retina monitor, and the updated keyboard. My choice of a new guitar over a new iMac was the keeyrect one! Looking forward to seeing the next generations!

it's value is for someone who wants or needs an new all-in-one; the larger screen is a nice update too; and yes... that screen resolution. but i hear you, and am going to hold out for the upcoming macbook pros after all.

Oh and... has anyone actually seen a photograph of the new iMac? The one in the event video looks more like a proof of concept. No Apple logo on the front?

there are some photos on apple's site, and the logo is only on the back, a nice design touch.

EDIT: i'm looking at that logic board, and imagining what a (long overdue) redesign of the macbook pro will be like... hopefully, with the WWDC...

Edited by fisherking

I'm fascinated to see what the M1X can do! :shock: :lol:

undoubtedly like the distance between the i5 and the i9 processors; an incremental difference, not a revolutionary one. (but am still holding out for it, as i've owned a lot of macbooks (and powerbooks!), and feel like i've earned a new hardware design).

For those that use sample libraries, I doubt this is the model for you, especially when compared to what you can get with the Intel iMac

https://www.apple.com/mac/compare/?modelList=iMac-24_2,iMac-24_4,iMac-5K

And the fact that there's very limited Apple Silicon Audio Units out there.

Developers on the other hand, this is great to start developing on.

For those that use sample libraries, I doubt this is the model for you, especially when compared to what you can get with the Intel iMac

i don't get that at all; this is a not a laptop, so easy enough to plug in an external drive for extreme sample libraries (although 2TB is certainly workable; we're talking audiofiles, not FCP projects). and the management of ram on the M1 is sufficiently different from the intel macs , that 16gb should suffice (i mean, i do FCP on my intel mac with 16gb ram now).

even ignoring the larger, better screen... the M1 seems the way to go, and an older imac seems (to me, anyway) a step backward. plus, within the next few years, we'll see M1-only apps, and i'd want to be there for that, especially if i'm investing in a new mac currently...

i don't get that at all; this is a not a laptop, so easy enough to plug in an external drive for extreme sample libraries (although 2TB is certainly workable; we're talking audiofiles, not FCP projects). and the management of ram on the M1 is sufficiently different from the intel macs , that 16gb should suffice (i mean, i do FCP on my intel mac with 16gb ram now).

even ignoring the larger, better screen... the M1 seems the way to go, and an older imac seems (to me, anyway) a step backward. plus, within the next few years, we'll see M1-only apps, and i'd want to be there for that, especially if i'm investing in a new mac currently...

The link should have sent you to this page.

Compare.thumb.png.976254ddf73f9de256fa8d9e9d85d370.png