Reamping with Radial EXTC and pedal in Logic Pro X doesn't work

Hi,

I recently watched this video:

(Timestamp 16:09)

Where this guy in using the Radial EXTC to reamp a mono guitar pedal to a stereo piano in Logic Pro X. I received my Radial EXTC and i've spent two days trying to figure out how he does it.

I've never reamped before and the process is very confusing to me. I have a recorded a midi piano in Logic and want to reamp the "right" panned side of the stereo field and then the "left" side. But i can't figure out how to do either.

Below is the signal chain I'm using (my interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, inputs 3 is out from interface into the reamper and from the reamper into input 4 on the interface. Input 1-2 is where my monitors go):

IMG_20210424_182443.thumb.jpg.0c799fed071a3252797bfa91fd8c54e1.jpg

IMG_20210424_182428.thumb.jpg.f2660370ad9bc0d7bb4c92f94522b76c.jpg

I thought by creating an audio track with output 3 to output 4, and another track with input 4 to my normal output 1-2 would make me do this (see pictures below).

1200418361_Screenshot2021-04-26at15_19_57.thumb.png.5210276a54331d27a76091af3b6032f7.png

1059290731_Screenshot2021-04-26at15_20_52.thumb.png.2d4f6091b8cb0c995698335e909757c7.png

I feel like I'm missing something really obvious here.

Really appreciate any help and clarification how to do this!

The only way I find to record on the piano into an audio track is to route the piano into a Bus, and then create a audio track that has the Bus as input. But I can only send that audio track to stereo outputs 1-2, 3-4, 5-6.

Make sure you have things connected correctly:

In your last screenshot, you have both inputs of the Auxes set to input 4, but then you're sending to Bus 3.

Do this now:

Keep sending the piano to Bus 3.

Set the Input of Aux 3 to Bus 3.

Set the output of Aux 3 to Output 3.

Set the input of one audio track to input 3 and the output to Stereo Out.

If you connected the Radial properly you should see signal.

Like this? it doesn't record audio.

Scarlett Focusrite is going from Output 3 to the input of the Radial and from the Radial in to Output 4 of the Scarlett.

If I change the TRS cable that is going from the Radial in to Output 4 of the Scarlett to instead go to input 1 at the front of the Scarlett and the Output on the Logic audiotrack to Output 1, I get some signal (noise from the pedal) that I'm able to record. It's just the white noise of the pedal though (see attached picture).

Thank you for your patience with this.

1955414418_Screenshot2021-04-29at15_50_08.thumb.png.43ebc5bd15f4f94ab8b40ede53683ca4.png

714633919_Screenshot2021-04-29at16_04_12.thumb.png.33cae470b1592bbfe4b063866dfaada0.png

Can you enable the cycle and hit play when you take the screenshot? That way we can see where the piano sound is going.

And use the routing that I suggested. Don't use Output 4.

Is the signal chain you suggested the easiest solution when it comes to reamping pedals like this? :)

This is a simpler routing: Set the output of your piano to output 3-4. Set the input on your audio track to input 3. Connect output 3 on your focusrite to Radial in, and Radial out to input 3 on the focusrite. Record arm the audio track and try to record ? The mixer should look like in the screenshot below. To record the other channel, ctrl-click the pan knob on the piano channel strip and select stereo pan, then option-click it to turn it orange, which means left-right is swapped, then record again.

Mixer.thumb.png.9e034ae76bd326b55bd08204036290c1.png

Edited by JakobP

This is a simpler routing: Set the output of your piano to output 3-4. Set the input on your audio track to input 3. Connect output 3 on your focusrite to Radial in, and Radial out to input 3 on the focusrite. Record arm the audio track and try to record ? The mixer should look like this:

Mixer.png

Just tried it and it works great. Thank you!

I for some reason get a weird chorus instead of the tremolo the person in the video is getting (even though pedal is 100% wet). I wonder if it has something to do with the routing in the Focusrite software or if there is something wrong with my pedal?

Hm, when i try to use software monitoring I get an extremely loud (like helicopter-y?) noise that doesn't stop until I unplug everything. Almost made me go deaf... Is this something you should never do then?

Can you hear it on the recorded file ? If you can, it's probably the pedal, if not, you're probably monitoring both from Logic and direct from the inputs.

I hear it on the file I recorded, but I now connected a Strymon El Capistan (delay pedal) and I get the same chorus-y effect.