NAS recommendations/advice

Hi everyone, I was hoping someone might give me a few tips regarding a NAS device.

I would like a NAS in my home/studio, for full backups of my studio cpu, and also as a music server to hold all my music files. (For listening, and with control from iPhone and IPad.

About a year ago I bought a WD mycloud EX2 ultra. I loaded it with a of couple of big drives, and things looked good. Unfortunately the software is beyond ridiculous, and effectively makes it useless. I’ve read numerous other reports that have people pulling their hair out with regards to it’s software functionality (lack of).

So wondering, is there any NAS that comes with a simple UI? I don’t need any fancy features, just a remote location for my ‘iTunes’ library, and back up destination for time machine. It sounds simple, ha! But it’s proven tricky for me.

Thanks so much

A

• 9 months later...

So wondering, is there any NAS that comes with a simple UI? I don’t need any fancy features, just a remote location for my ‘iTunes’ library, and back up destination for time machine. It sounds simple, ha! But it’s proven tricky for me.

Thanks so much

A

Came on the forum to look into using a NAS and came across your post.

Wondering if you came up with a better unit. I got a Synology NAS and felt the UI and OS (DSM7) made it stand out in the crowd of NAS's out there.

If you can share how a NAS using music production software has worked out for you I'd listen.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Pauly, sorry to come around to this late. Haven't been frequenting the forum much.

I got the mycloud ex, and at first the software and the UI was terrible. They upgraded it to 'mycloud 5', which helped a bit, but it still is more work, and less-user friendly than I had hoped. In the end, it hasn't worked out for either my music/recording/studio or for the media streaming hopes I had had for it.

I'm too old to spend my time learning shitty-designed software, so in the end I'm all wires still.

This is one of those times when I wish Apple would step in and make a dedicated Mac-NAS and show other manufactures how it's done.

Glad to hear Synology, worked out for you. I might take a look at that!

cheers

A