Control Surface - Logic Control? X-Touch One or Universal?

I've been using an older Presonus Faderport for a long time. Previously with Reaper and since October 2020 with Logic when I made the move to Logic.

Obviously, I've been a 1 track at a time person when mixing and I don't take full advantage of the options on the Faderport - not there are that many that work with Logic to begin with.

I've been seriously considering upgrading to a different unit with the intention to speed up my workflow. I've been going back and forth between the Behringer X-Touch Universal, same thing but with the extender and the X-Touch One. The biggest draw for me is the ability to zoom without the mouse.

The more I try to imaging how I would use the units, the more I think I probably wouldn't utilize the Universal. Having more faders available at one time sounds good at first but probably wouldn't get used that much. I think about using the Universal to also control plugins but then it seems like pulling them up with a mouse click and doing what I need to do would be quicker anyway.

So that made me think the X-Touch One would be the better choice.

I've tried using Logic Control on my iPhone. It' not bad but I would like the zoom functions and more real estate handy.

At first, I thought I would want the feel of a controller and the buttons. I'm starting to think it may not be that important.

So now I'm thinking..... should I consider getting an iPad Pro 12.9" and use Logic Control?

Is anyone here using Logic Control?

I would appreciate any feedback you might have to help me decide.

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to use logic remote on my iPad, it is well designed but for me I don't think it can be usable for mixing because of the lack of tactile feedback as to whether your fingers are in control of the fader. When you are holding a mechanical fader, you can tell when it's in contact withy your fingers, and the feedback as to whether you are moving it is pretty positive.

With logic remote, for me it was really easy for my finger to lose contact with the virtual fader and not know it. So I was sliding my fingertip up and down but had lost contact with the virtual fader and was not changing anything.

To counter this, I had to look down at the iPad to check if I had contact,thus losing the use of the computer screen.

I want to be able to watch the screen while I move faders-- like bring up vocals, while bringing down a guitar.

The X-Touch has Zoom control buttons on the bottom right, next to the jog wheel. The workflow speed-up using the full X-Touch is excellent. Anything that the 'Mackie Control' (see the Control Surfaces Manual) can do the X-Touch can do - a wonderful clone of the MCU...I use mx X-Touch and, these days, I have added an iPad that sits to the right. I plug an extended Mac keyboard in to one of the USB ports on the back of the X-Touch, so I have all the keyboard commands, all the faders and buttons, and now a separate screen for doing keyboard commands as well. Maybe I should put a screen above my X-Touch ;-) - it's not in front of the Mac.

The X-Touch has Zoom control buttons on the bottom right, next to the jog wheel. The workflow speed-up using the full X-Touch is excellent.

Your talking about the X-Touch Universal, not the X-Touch One, correct?

If possible, I would love to hear how the Universal helps to speed up your workflow, especially over using the "One".

I use mx X-Touch and, these days, I have added an iPad that sits to the right. I plug an extended Mac keyboard in to one of the USB ports on the back of the X-Touch, so I have all the keyboard commands, all the faders and buttons, and now a separate screen for doing keyboard commands as well. Maybe I should put a screen above my X-Touch ;-) - it's not in front of the Mac.

Would love to be a fly on the wall to see how you use these. I have a hard time envisioning how I would use Universal (and possibly with iPad) to get the most out of it and actually improve my workflow.

X-Touch Universal - the Mackie Control Universal clone. 8 channels/faders + main fader. All the buttons and knobs you could want.

Simple answer for the iPad is I use it in "Smart Help" mode to feed me documentation/help while using Logic. Additional use these days, and will probably be primary, is Key Commands mode. I have a set of commands I use while getting levels and balance on a mix. If the iPad is set to have the key commands I need arrayed on one "page" I can have 18 commands arranged as desired, along with the not-really-useful transport buttons wasting the bottom row ;-)

A current workflow - select a Track Stack. On the X-Touch press OPTION-GLOBAL VIEW. This sets the mixer to Single view putting the AUX and all of the channels involved onto the surface - AUX, audio track, AUX of sends, Stereo Out, Master - all there. I can level and pan as much as I want.

Sends on Faders mode in Logic works great - easily adjust things like reverb etc.

There are ways too numerous to mention for using the control surface - I can say that it has taken me 3+ years of exploring the device and finding new ways to work without the mouse.

Grab a copy of Logic Pro 9 'Control Surfaces Support' manual - https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/9.1.6/en/logicpro/controlsurfacessupport/index.html - before it goes away ;-)

The version 10 manual may still be available as well, but the online documentation keeps losing valuable chapters and information. I took inventory of my X-Touch functions by reading through the manual and, at least, identifying where the things were located, and how I might use them.

Someday I will figure out how to do a marquee selection from the X-Touch ;-) then I will be all set. I make marquee selections in tracks, use 'Set Locators by Marquee and Enable Cycle', followed by 'Create Marker by Cycle Area' a lot. With that done I can navigate by markers and work on what I hear as opposed to what I see. The necessary commands are on a page on my iPad.

I could go on, but that's enough for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Like you, I use the Zoom controls extensively. So much so I programmed them into my Novation LaunchKey 49 and several other devices! A friend loaned me his Presonus FaderPort 16 so I could do a review and the integration with Logic exceeded my expections. The transport and navigation controls are big and tactile, I love having 16 faders for mixing, and it’s fairly useful for tweaking plugins. Most buyers just want the motorized faders MCU standard, but I’ve found many of the other feature more useful.

When you mention the ‘Zoom’ I knew we had something in common. FaderPort has Zoom control, not sure about the X-Touch, but almost all control surface offer some custom controls, so you can add Zoom, horz and vert to any midi device. In that case, the Zoom function should not be a deciding factor, right?

Somebody wiser than me explained that mixing with tactile controls, like the FaderPort, helps us use our ears instead of our eyes. It’s true, looking at the fader position on a screen tends to favour the eyes. Closing your eyes to hear the mix makes a big difference.

I love Logic Remote on an iPad, it is so capable, no control surface can match. But, it’s not tactile, so for many people used to a mixing console, a control surface helps their workflow. Personally, I wouldn’t buy an 8 fader control surface because I have 8 faders on my LaunchKey 49. For the price, only the FaderPort 16 delivers what I’m looking for.