Komplete Kontrol 13 bundle - worth it?

Logic X comes with 24 VSTs, 70 plugins and 72GB of samples. What’s the rationale for investing in Komplete Kontrol 13?

I have the Komplete Kontrol Start (free) bundle, so I understand how it works as a plug-in with Logic and/or standalone. Are the sounds and instruments better quality? I don’t use, or plan to use a Maschine device and I don’t use an NI Komplete keyboard. I presume if you buy Komplete hardware, the integration with the software bundle is an advantage... but what if you’re just a typical Logic user?

Advice and experience much appreciated.

Hi Nunstummy,

Not sure which tier you're thinking of but I've been thinking along the same lines as you. I've been looking at the Collecters edition, where they say it *almost* has everything they've ever done. I'm a long time Logic user but never had any 3rd party stuff. Always stock Logic, so I'm pretty new to 3rd party and it was only because I'm looking for a keyboard controller that the software got my attention. I want to go with an 88 keyboard and unfortunately the NI S88 didn't suit me at all, but when I tried it I saw how it was very well implemented with its software, with 2 hi resolution displays. I couldn't really try it out properly as the shop only had Garageband. If you like pads, well, they dont have them on this keyboard. Spent quite a bit of time on NI forums seeing what people are saying in general. I'd recommend looking there about integration as people have commented on that. I learned quite a bit that way.

In my view Logic has plenty of great stuff and certainly adequate to make really good recordings. I guess it depends on what genre you're going for, but I'm really considering carefully if I need to get anything else.

HTHs

I mean, the rationale is people like having more tools, because sometimes other tools—even if similar to something one already owns—can do the job better, faster, more simply. Coming from the screen scoring world, Logic's orchestral instruments are really inadequate, so I own at least three other orchestral libraries, from multiple different companies, running in at least three other sample player plug-ins. There's no need per se to buy other options, but no one can do everything perfectly, so sometimes there's worth in stepping out of Logic's box.

• 1 month later...

I knew NI had specials but didn't know much more than that and didn't expect one any time soon. Since I was seriously considering purchasing anyway, decided I'd make use of the opportunity that did come up, so picked up the K13 Collectors Edition. Wont be using some of it, but I knew that anyway. There is some really great quality stuff.

Really disappointed with the NI 88 keybed as well as Arturia Theyr'e touted as light, soft and pianolike but to me theyre nothing like that but action feels really sluggish. Best way to describe it is - if fingers were feet, then its like walking in thick mud. I'm still at a loss with what I'm going to do about a keyboard. Definitely want 88keys. Meanwhile I'm clunking away on my old CASIO PX100 which not only hits the deck hard but returns hard as well....and no PB or MOD wheel. There's zero continuous controllers. All I have is KB velocity and sustain.

I knew NI had specials but didn't know much more than that and didn't expect one any time soon. Since I was seriously considering purchasing anyway, decided I'd make use of the opportunity that did come up, so picked up the K13 Collectors Edition. Wont be using some of it, but I knew that anyway. There is some really great quality stuff.

Really disappointed with the NI 88 keybed as well as Arturia Theyr'e touted as light, soft and pianolike but to me theyre nothing like that but action feels really sluggish. Best way to describe it is - if fingers were feet, then its like walking in thick mud. I'm still at a loss with what I'm going to do about a keyboard. Definitely want 88keys. Meanwhile I'm clunking away on my old CASIO PX100 which not only hits the deck hard but returns hard as well....and no PB or MOD wheel. There's zero continuous controllers. All I have is KB velocity and sustain.

My interest in KK13 was mainly the sound libraries and instruments. I think you have to separate the hardware buying decision from the software, which is tough in the case of NI. First because they want to sell you a controller keyboard or a Maschine, and second the pricing is co-dependent. It’s like buying a Big Mac and a drink, you might as well get the ‘meal’ with fries for the same price.

I’m a keyboard player, but I don’t share your desire for 88 hammer action keys. What genre of music are you performing where this is necessary?

Much like Apple they (NI) have a bit of a walled garden going on and they like to encompass you as much as possible, but there's no way I'd shell out the money for their 88 key. So far Ive found NI plugins working well in Logic but then Im so new to this I'm hardly in a position to say how I'll be affected, if at all, about hardware integration or the lack thereof - assuming I get a non sludgy 88key that is. Im kinda in a fix too as I only have 1 midi input/output via the scarlett so cant even use the D50s pitchbend and mod from a second midi input.

I don't consider myself a genre centric person. A full keyboard is necessary because thats what I like, I cut my teeth on and I guess it never really left me. I especially love to be able to stretch down into that bass area. For years the D50s 61 keyboard was OK but I found it annoying with no low B and further down.

Just took advantage of their sale myself and upgraded to 13. I just have the standard version though, along with a few other select libraries I have picked up over the years. I have a few other libraries outside of the Kontakt ecosphere, however, I rarely ever buy anything full price.

It first starts out as falling for the marketing and "grabbing a good bargain". After a while you start to come to your senses and think about what tools you need more objectively, compare them with the competition, then once you've made the decision, waiting for a good sale.

At least, that's how I usually do it.