Preventing Clicks/Pops at The Transition Point Between 2 WAV Files in A Musical Segue

Hi everyone. I would very much appreciate some help with this

Here’s what I’m trying to do:

• * I have these 2 songs that are contained in one audio file.

* I want these two songs to segue into each other seamlessly.

* However, I also want each song to be on a separate wav file so I am splitting them up.

* I don’t want song 1 to fade out or song 2 to fade in. That’s not the musical intention

* I want to make sure that when someone listens to this album on a music streaming platform on a CD etc there is a seamless transition from song 1 into song 2 with no audible cut.

I have created a video of my sessions to demonstrate what’s going on.

The session with the orange regions is the session in which I am splitting up these 2 songs into 2 separate audio files.

The session with the blue regions is the session that I have imported the 2 files into to check the result of the bounce.

As you can see, in the orange session I have separated the 2 songs into 2 individual regions. There is no fade applied. When I play the transition, the result is exactly what I desire - no audible click or pop.

It logically follows from there that if I bounce song 1 and song 2 at the exact lengths of their respective orange regions and import them into a new session side by side, what I should hear should be exactly the same as what I hear when I play the transition between the 2 orange regions - a seamless transition with no clicks or pops. Right?

However, as you can hear in the video, that’s not what I get. I get a click at the transition point.

QUESTIONS

1. Firstly, why is this happening? It doesn’t seem to make sense. The transition sounds seamless in the orange session but then a click appears after I bounce.

2. Secondly, what do I need to do to achieve my desired result?

I have tried putting a tiny fade on the end of song 1 and on the start of song 2. When I bounce those versions, that does get rid of the high-pitched click but it introduces a different kind of click - a low pitched click. I also don’t want this. Listen to the track labelled “tiny fade between songs 1 and 2” at the end of the video to hear this.

Thanks a lot for the help

Also please note the following

You may notice in the video that the split I have done between the two orange regions results in them overlapping very slightly. There is a reason for this:

Initially I did split the regions in such a way that there was no overlapping between them. All I did was select the scissors tool and split region, nothing more. However for some stupid reason when you do that in logic, logic doesn't just split the regions. It splits them and inserts a tiny gap of silence between them that you cannot avoid. Even if you use Shuffle to try to bring the two regions right up against each other, that tiny gap will always be there.

467174488_Screenshot2021-05-12at00_02_59.thumb.png.7cd0243728c1b433a39f3d3f66f40480.png

When I bounced them like this I was getting the same kind of high pitched click you hear in the video and I assumed it must be the gap that was causing the click. For that reason, I decided to move song 2 to the left by the smallest amount possible that would allow me to eliminate that gap. And that's the edit you see in the video. The audible result is the same in both cases regardless. They both create the same click.

By using the Cycle range, you're dropping your resolution down to ticks which at 120BPM is roughly 23 samples @44.1KHz which very likely will give you clicks no matter what.

You get a round this by first bouncing the entire project (this will bounce your seamless transitions into the audio file), then if you need separate yet seamless files, you import that bounce and cut it up into shorter segments. It's not mandatory to cut at precisely the spot where the transition is. Then you select all Regions and Convert To New Audio Files.

By using the Cycle range, you're dropping your resolution down to ticks which at 120BPM is roughly 23 samples @44.1KHz which very likely will give you clicks no matter what.

You get a round this by first bouncing the entire project (this will bounce your seamless transitions into the audio file), then if you need separate yet seamless files, you import that bounce and cut it up into shorter segments. It's not mandatory to cut at precisely the spot where the transition is. Then you select all Regions and Convert To New Audio Files.

Thanks for the reply.

However, if I am not mistaken, the fix you describe is what I already did in the video - the two songs were on one audio file. I imported that audio file into a new session and split it up into 2 segments. I think that's what you described in your reply and that seems to be exactly the same as I what I'm doing. Have I misunderstood you?

That's odd. Do you not see any gap even when you zoom in as much as possible? That's when I see it.

However, I should say that even though this gap is there, the audio doesn't sound wrong in any way. There are no audible clicks. The clicks only appear after I bounce the 2 regions and import them into a new session side by side.

Problem has been solved. I selected "set locators" to ensure I bounced the exact length of each region.

When I did that, it visually looked wrong - when I set the locators on song 1's region using the "set locators" button, it looked as though the locators were including all of song 1 and a tiny little bit of song 2. When I set the locators manually in the video, I was able to get them right on the edges of the region with precision.

However, the resultant bounces of the automatic "set locators" method are perfect.

So there must be some graphics issue going on.