Why to do with my old laptop?

I have a 17-inch 2010 Macbook Pro. 2.66 GHz Intel Core 17, memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3. This, along with various external drives, was my music computer set-up or many years. First the CD/DV drive stopped working and around the same time the computer started running unbelievably slow. I think I’ve maxed it out, and far as upgrading it, but I’m not very knowledgeable about these things. The last time I was on the phone about this machine with an Apple tech, a couple of years back, he gently suggested I might just want to upgrade. I mentioned this to a friend and he gave me a newer iMac that he no longer needed. So I set the laptop aside, figuring I’d get rid of it one of these days, but occasionally I look at it and think it would be nice to use it occasionally out in the garage, to record cymbal overdubs or something I don’t necessarily want to do in my bedroom studio. I used to carry it back forth for stuff like that, and I’m much less apt to do that with the larger iMac. I’ve fired it up a few times with mixed results. Sometimes the power adaptor gets very hot to the touch before the thing has enough juice to start up. But if I let it sit in sleep mode and come back later, it will have cooled off and it starts up. Sometimes it runs very slow, and other times it’s not too bad.

For the record, I do a combination of audio recording and software instrument stuff and occasionally I use loops.

To cut to the chase, what would you do if this computer belonged to you? I imagine many of us have old machines laying around our studios. Would you keep something like this for some reason?

Thanks!

Andy