Speeding up Drums?

Hello,

I am not the best drummer but I want the sound of live drums. I originally used a MIDI drum loop from Logic and am now trying to record me playing the drum patterns on my acoustic drumset.

When I play to record the drums at 87 bpm they sound on beat and steady. However, when I manually drag at the top to increase the tempo to 122, the drums begin to sound rushed, and not grooving/on beat like it did when I originally recorded it at 87 bpm.

Is there any thing that I can do to keep the integrity and groove of my acoustic drums when I increase the tempo or must I physically learn to play the drum patterns at 122 bpm?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. I am new to these forums. Thank you so much for your time.

increase the tempo to 122, the drums begin to sound rushed

I wonder why.

Seriously, that's like trying to play a 33rpm LP at 45rpm Single speed, and you know how that went. 40bpm increase is an awful lot in any genre. Yes, Jungle was created precisely this way but let's face it, it's not exactly the most laid back and relaxed of genres out there, and for pretty much this very reason.

If you want the drums to sound natural (ie, like they were played that way), you pretty much have to play them that way.

Thank you so much!

If I have another live drum track that doesn’t sound AS rushed, that means I am playing off, right? It is something I am doing performance wise.

I recorded it at a slower tempo and the first take doesn’t sound bad(not rushed) but the latest one frustrated me.

As a beginner, do you have any tips for quantizing or editing audio files for flex time?

Without hearing the actual takes, all I can do is speculate, so my guess is as good as anyone's.

any tips for quantizing or editing audio files for flex time

If a wild drum track needs to conform to another, maybe even changing tempo, you may want to first Beat Map Logic's grid to the drum performance, then write the resulting tempo map into the recorded audio files, which in turn will then allow Flex to automatically mold the drum recording to any, maybe even changing tempo. Re-read this statement a couple of times, it's the answer to literally dozens of questions about drum editing on this and other forums.

Quantizing live drums only works if your playing is reasonably tight. Also, it's notoriously bad at guessing if you actually meant 32nd notes or 16th triplets, so a bit of manual work is to be expected.

Make sure all drum tracks belong to the same Editing Group.