How to get rid of swoosh during analog synth recordings

Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

Hey there.

I am quite new in recording analog synth the proper way.

To get a signal that is loud enough, I have put my preamps of the audio interface (RME FireFace) to a higher level.. But now, in the recording there is a swoosh/noise in the background, that gets very loud when I am using upward compression.

So, how to fix this problem?

I think, I have to turn down the input level of my audio interface? Right? And then I have to use a preamp plugin to get it louder again within the DAW (I am using Logic)?

Or how would you fix this issue?

Thank you for your help

Edit and P.S.:

A noise gate does not solve the problem. It might kill the background swoosh when the synth isn't playing anything. But when the synth plays something, you can hear it again.

• Solution

There is little chance you're getting noise from the interface unless you're cranking up the input gain like crazy. The FF has a software panel named Fireface Settings where you can switch the inputs between three level states LoGain, +4dBU and -10dBV. The last will give you the most gain with the least noise.

If you still don't have enough signal, your synth is too low. Make sure its volume knob is up.

If you still end up with too much noise, it's the synth itself.