M1 Macs, internal vs external SSD

Hello everyone,

Long time since my last post!

I'm considering one of the new M1 computers to replace my now close to 4yo MBP by the end of the year, just to make sure all the software I use, plugins, etc. are fully compatible with the new chips, and also wait to see what else comes out of Apple before the end of 2021.

All three (MBP, iMac, Mac Mini) are an option for me, but I can't decide what I should do regarding disk space. Do I invest in larger internal SSDs, or do I get the cheapest model available and invest in a fast external SSD? I know that this was a big thing, having at least the sample libraries stored in an external drive, I mean, in order to not interfere with the internal drive running the OS and Logic, but is that still true with SSD drives? Would I be ok running a 1TB M1 Mac with everything in its internal drive? Or do I still gain a lot by having the libraries and/or the recording folder as an external drive?

Either way, please do share your opinion and experience and, if possible, and if that's the case, any suggestions about hardware (SSD drives, docks, etc.) are most welcome.

Thank you so much!

All the best,

Rui

You can put everything on the 1TB internal SSD if you'd like.

But eventually it will fill up.

I would put the projects (if you record audio a lot) on an external HD. If you're not recording at 192k sample rate, a 7200 rpm HD thru USB 3 is plenty.

If you do video as well, SSD is the way to go.

M1 MacBookAir here - 1TB internal SSD. I usually work on projects stored on external SSDs, occasionally simply work across my Ethernet...

For the snappiest performance I move the active project to the internal SSD and go from there. The I/O performance of the internal SSD is stupendous. Beyond all performance you have ever seen or used on computers of the "before times".

• 2 weeks later...

I use external SSD's now because the puny internal SSD in my MacBook Pro filled up fairly quickly. (It's the only thing that I don't like about it ... other than a general lack of USB-C ports and that I have to use-up one of them just to provide power.)

The single most important characteristic of any computer, in my opinion, is the amount of RAM. Buy as much RAM as the machine will hold. Then, a reasonably-fast CPU with a large number of cores. Between these two, you will have a computer that can work on many things at one time and that has a place to put them.

The mini I bought my wife in January was the basic 256gb model. I wanted to see how it acted with Logic, so I bought an external 1tb ssd. Works fine, no hiccups. For my own purposes, I had to ask if I trusted the internal ssd over the external. I'd never done it before. I decided to get the tb internal for my music machine, in conjunction with some things offloaded to that external ssd which reads at 1gb/sec, I think.