Curved Monitors

Just wondering if there's any benefit or detriment to music making, weird-shaped GUIs, etc. I've spec'ed my Mac Mini, now I have to see what works best for me. The question about the curved monitor is a question of a potential good deal, not any personal preference. Biggest issue for me really is 27" vs 32". The latter would take up a lot of real estate on my desk, and the former seems too small.

But an M1 Mini with 16gb RAM and a TB SSD is about to be ordered. And I get to go through all the fun I had when I set up my wife's!

27" is pretty big already. The biggest issue I see with large displays like these is that in a music studio they typically end up in the path the soundwaves have to travel from the speaker monitors to your ears. If you can somehow resolve this issue (such as lower the display into the desk if you can find a desk that allows for this, or moving the monitor far away from you at the back of the desk, in between the two speaker monitors), then I don't see any issue with a large monitor display, curve or not.

Yes definitely an issue. Even the 27" iMac on a normal desk is too high for my neck, which has gotten used to working on the small 13" display of my Macbook Air that rests right on the desk. IMO the secret is a desk with the display built-in, not sure why they aren't more popular with the home studio producers.

Here's a friend of mine's studio:

68426998_2419626374979329_7689865074898370560_n.jpg.f2dcdf8ba3dcd75c90258ecd75cdcd30.jpg

27" is pretty big already. The biggest issue I see with large displays like these is that in a music studio they typically end up in the path the soundwaves have to travel from the speaker monitors to your ears. If you can somehow resolve this issue (such as lower the display into the desk if you can find a desk that allows for this, or moving the monitor far away from you at the back of the desk, in between the two speaker monitors), then I don't see any issue with a large monitor display, curve or not.

I am going to respectfully disagree with my friend and colleague David. 27" is nowhere near enough for me. I am using a 39" 4k Ultra HD TV as a monitor for my Mac mini and I am thinking of getting a second monitor.I have a big desk though, so no interference with sound waves from my near field monitors.

When you die, if you have been a truly terrible person, you work in a DAW like Logic on a laptop screen only for eternity. I would rather be waterboarded.

I am going to respectfully disagree with my friend and colleague David. 27" is nowhere near enough for me. I am using a 39" 4k Ultra HD TV as a monitor for my Mac mini and I am thinking of getting a second monitor.I have a big desk though, so no interference with sound waves from my near field monitors.

When you die, if you have been a truly terrible person, you work in a DAW like Logic on a laptop screen only for eternity. I would rather be waterboarded.

Hey Ashermusic, what monitor are you using? When the M2 Minis come out I'm planning on making the jump.

Hey Ashermusic, what monitor are you using? When the M2 Minis come out I'm planning on making the jump.

Look at what you quoted. :)

I got an LG 31.5" 4k. I use it at 1440, so .i don't squint. For me, 32" is the new 27". Doesn't take up a lot more real estate than my iMac. Nice, thin, black bezels. Sharp pic with HDR enabled. And it's not one of their high end models, either.

So, I'm getting a 16gb/1tb mini, Applecare, and a 32" monitor for under €2000. the new iMac with the same config would run over €2,500, and only a 24" screen.

i don't really get 'giant' monitors (but hey, i worked in logic on a 13" macbook pro for years). now i'm on a 21" imac, and fine with it.

the studio i work in has a 27" monitor, and it's perfect. but really... how much can your eyes take in? i watch movies on a 100" projection screen, because i want to be overwhelmed. but when i work, the 21" monitor is fine; sure, i zoom in sometimes, & scroll often. but it's not complicated.

still, whatever makes one happy. i just prefer to overwhelm my speakers, than have a screen overwhelm me...

how much can your eyes take in?

My eyes can take in a 96channel SSL console while keeping an eye on a bunch of mic pres + EQs that a drumkit goes through while checking levels to and from tape and I simultaneously manage to keep an eye on that last Bretzel that the producer hasn't got his sticky fingers on yet. So I'd say " A fair bit."

If you're working to picture, there's your second monitor already.

Having a full mix window open all the time is speeding up things quite a lot, bam, third monitor.

I do d+d stuff between Main window and Finder all the time which happens on the fourth monitor. In a recording situation, that fourth monitor is mult-ed to the recording booth so I can set up lyrics there or another Main window for orientation.

I also have a camera in the booth which wants some screenspace somewhere.

Same goes for Davinci Resolve, two working windows, one for picture and one for the Finder to throw stuff around.

In Cinema 4D, to be honest, I could make good use of a fifth monitor...

i get it, really, especially for scoring (that was what inspired my move from the macbook pro to the imac). i think it's mostly a matter of getting used to a larger monitor.

i had a collab years ago, on a 17" imac. when it died, she got a new 20" imac... and freaked out, wanted to know if there's anyway to run a 17" diagonal image on the new mac; for her, that 17" screen size seemed perfect.

we adapt (then hopefully enjoy the 'new').

I still have a 17" iMac, 2007, I think. Offer it to your friend for $10,000,000, and we'll split it!

My new mini is here. 16gb/1tb config just arrived. €1,608 Applecare included. Not exactly chicken feed, but I've scored 2 minis, including a BTO, 2 monitors, for less than the cost of the iMac in my sig.

€100 + shipping? I'm cutting my own throat here! :x :mrgreen:

Love your math, btw. That's the kinda math that gets me wife trouble when I try to finagle new gear.

that math skill is part of why my music sounds the way it does. and i just buy gear when my GF is out.

"was that 45" monitor always on your desk?"

"why, yes; yes it was"

• 2 weeks later...

But can I wage a war on two fronts in Civ VI?

I sent the first unit back, btw. The screen type, VA?, was a problem. The colours were weird, and changed even when I moved my head a few inches.

I'm awaiting a 32" IPS LG Ultrafine. All that real estate is cool, but I use it in QHD anyway.

Ok, he wins! :mrgreen:

In my best cockney: that's just ostentatious, that is! :lol:

The 32" LG Ultrafine is plenty. It fills the space between my monitor shelves almost perfectly, and fills my field of view. Colour is not as eye-popping as an iMac, but it's damn good. 24" would be a step down, and cost me over €500 more than the mini rig I have.