Sound Card or better at mixing?

Hello -

Apologies as I'm sure this is a question asked many times. I've read most of those posts but still have a nagging doubt.

I'm a newbie, using my iMac on-board audio with Logic making electronic/dance music. I make sure to listen to my tracks on a variety of different systems (monitors, headphones, speakers, car surround sound etc). I've been reading up and practicing my mixing, a lot, with great improvements. While I recognise I've got a Looooooong way to go to fully understand all aspects of mixing, my tracks just don't have the same warmth and depth as stuff I listen to from other artists (i.e. on Apple Music for example). I'll listen to other stuff and when I switch back to my own, it just lacks warmth and ... well ... presence and feeling (I'm sure you all can relate). I'll keep on practicing and learning no doubt about that, but ... finally getting to the question(s) ....

Would an external sound-card bring the warmth and feeling I crave? Is my on-board audio holding me back, or does it have everything I need to achieve that sound (and I just need to keeping learning)? I don't record audio (for now at least) and so I don't need mic inputs per se. I have a great Filo headphone amp with DT770 (80) and DT880 (250) so don't need amplification (and like I said I listen on a variety of outputs). Finally, if my on-board card has the capability, does anyone use a particular third-party plug-in for what I'm after or any tips/tricks for stuff already in logic (believe me, I've tried a lot of stuff) :-)

TIA

Mixing is an art that takes years to perfect. Be patient and read as much as you can about how your favorite artisst record and mix their albums.

On top of that, there's thousands of dollars of equipment and many hours of experimenting and mixing.

One thing is for sure, nobody uses the built-in audio for recording and mixing.

They all invest in a decent audio interface and speakers.

Mixing on headphones only can be deceiving. Some artist/mixing engineer might do that but it's not the norm.

So I would definitely recommend you at least get an audio interface to improve your mixing skills.

There's some good stuff by Presonus, Focusrite, Motu and more high end stuff like Apogee and RME.

Based on what you want to spend, I can give you some pointers.

Cheers!

Mixing is an art that takes years to perfect. Be patient and read as much as you can ...

Thank you so much for your response.

I think for now I'd be looking at around 500 GBP mark but if there's something that's way way better for a few hundred more then I'd look at it if you'd recommend (realising that there's always something a bit better for a bit more money!).

Thanks again!

Sounds like you are listening to mastered tracks on Apple Music and comparing it to tracks that you have produced, and mixed, an possibly mastered? I doubt you have mastered.

First step is to level match your Stereo Out and the Apple Music tracks. Bounce your mix and put a copy in Music/iTunes. Listen there.

I always drag reference tracks in to my projects in order to compare what I am producing and what the "radio" has on it. Fairly easy to get a proper level match and easy to option-click the solo button to swap between mix and reference...

Thanks for the advice!

I do always bounce my track with normalisation off to my music library. It's from there that I'm comparing (on many different output devices). I just can't get near the warmth and depth and range of the tracks 'released' on Apple Music. I haven't mastered my tracks, correct. I've not got to that yet. But would mastering alone make that big a difference? I also realise I shouldn't compare my tracks with 'released' / 'professional' music just yet. I'm thinking a sound card is a must though. I'm reading the Apogee products are good for logic ...?

But would mastering alone make that big a difference? I also realise I shouldn't compare my tracks with 'released' / 'professional' music just yet. I'm thinking a sound card is a must though. I'm reading the Apogee products are good for logic ...?

No, mastering alone doesn't make things warm and with lots of depth. The recording and mix process is the most important part.

Compare your mixes with your favorite artists as a goal to reach, which you can't get to with a magic formula or plugin. Just learning, patience and dedication.

And yes, Apogee products are excellent, but not cheap. The Duet is a great choice.

Many thanks all ... that's pretty much what I thought, and knowing that it's the 'human' that's the difference (i.e. knowledge) makes me want to get learning even more! (I think it's about time I got an audio interface anyway!)