Logic for iOS? - why?

There was a lot of speculation that Apple would provide pro apps like Logic, for the new M1 iPad, but why?

I love my iPad and use it extensively for developing music ideas, beats, melodies, loops, etc. I use Blocs Wave, GrooveBox, Beatmaker 3, GarageBand and about 6 instruments/synths/etc. But eventually, I move those bits onto my Mac in the studio on Logic to complete a song. All my gear if there in the studio, including UAD Apollo audio interface, full keyboard, studio monitors and mic’s. Even if I could do everything on my iPad I’d lose the fun on having the portable device, if it was hooked up to all the gear in my studio. I do use Logic Remote on my iPad in my studio, but otherwise I really enjoy taking the iPad wherever I go. I don’t really need a full DAW on my iPad or iPhone.

Is there really a point to having Logic on iOS?

I don't see one.

Thanks - I wouldn’t mind seeing improvements to GarageBand iOS. I did a quick little project for a friend in GarageBand and quickly realized it has no cross-fade, so I pulled the GarageBand file into Logic to use the standard plugins and edit features I’m used to. I found I’m far more efficient in Logic. I’ll still be using my iPad for music creation and ideas - I just can’t imagine all the features of Logic translating to a touch-screen environment like iOS.

• 1 month later...
As a composer i would love to see Logic on iPad. Track stacks, a full mixer, deep MIDI editing etc. I see it does not make sense for recording studios but i would love to tinker with my mixes on the couch sometimes. ( On the other hand i got tired of waiting for Logic on iPad and went for the M1 MacBook Air. ) I can do it with the Air too but it feels like there is an extra ‘layer’ between me and Logic. There is something in the touch approach but Garageband is too limited for me.

hard to imagine logic (or, for that matter, final cut) on the ipad. i would think that the ipads would need more power, ram, storage... and inputs. the air, or the macbook pro, makes so much more sense with these apps. but... never say never...

The new M1 ipads have the same power as the laptops. 16gb of Ram too. I would love to use the apple pencil to poke around in Logic while laying back on the couch but maybe it is unrealistic. Pinch to zoom tap with the pencil, just got GOOD goosebumps :) It’s fair to dream.

hard to imagine logic (or, for that matter, final cut) on the ipad. i would think that the ipads would need more power, ram, storage... and inputs. the air, or the macbook pro, makes so much more sense with these apps. but... never say never...

The new M1 ipads have the same power as the laptops. 16gb of Ram too. I would love to use the apple pencil to poke around in Logic while laying back on the couch but maybe it is unrealistic. Pinch to zoom tap with the pencil, just got GOOD goosebumps :) It’s fair to dream.

inputs/outputs? let's say you want to use a midi keyboard and an audio interface. add a keyboard (ok, bluetooth). anyway, not impossible that we'll see this at some point. as with all things apple, we won't really know until it happens...

inputs/outputs? let's say you want to use a midi keyboard and an audio interface. add a keyboard (ok, bluetooth). anyway, not impossible that we'll see this at some point. as with all things apple, we won't really know until it happens...

My idea of using Logic on iPad is just composing, sketching ideas. AU instruments, built in touch keyboard. Ideally i do not want to connect anything to the ipad while kicking back on the couch. Another use: mixing, finishing and advancing songs, trying out ideas, arranging etc. If i would like to record, just connect my 2i2 Focusrite and my keyboard to a hub just like i do currently with my ipad 6th gen or Macbook Air. I love dongles. Just connect the hub and everything is connected. Just trying to understand why people would think Logic is a bad idea on iPad? It's not the screen real estate bc we have the larger iPad Pro and basically same size as my MacBook Air. Is it that touch input would not work well in Logic? Too many small buttons etc.? We use a mouse to overcome that on the laptops. We could do the same with the Apple Pencil on iPads. Also there is the smart keyboard for iPads now with the trackpad. The real obstacle probably is iOS.

Knowing that Logic still has lots of stuff that needs improvement, getting a team to work on the iPad version of Logic seems a bit nonsense in my opinion. To his day I still don't understand why GarageBand is still around, when Logic is capable of being converted into a stripped version of itself when not activating the advanced tools. It would make more sense to just merge everything, call it just Logic and that's it. Having those GarageBand folders that Logic still uses for samples and all that, makes no sense at all, in my opinion. So no, makes no sense to create an iPad version of Logic, if GarageBand for iPad still exists.

To his day I still don't understand why GarageBand is still around, when Logic is capable of being converted into a stripped version of itself when not activating the advanced tools.

I think you vastly underestimate how complex Logic is to a novice.

If you turn the Advanced Tools off, Logic becomes way simpler. I think that was the purpose when they added that option, don’t you think? ;)

Also, Logic is not complex to learn, if you only focus on the basics. The basic principles can be taught in a few minutes and just like with anything, the more you repeat those tasks, the faster you learn. I’m 100% sure that if you had 2 people, one learning Logic and one learning GarageBand, they would both be able to learn it easily. It’s way easier to have all the tools available and not use them than the opposite (people always like to know more and expand). As an experienced Logic user, I can’t do anything with GarageBand because of its limitations.

As a novice what do you need to learn? How to create a software instrument to record midi, how to record audio and that’s it. Are you telling me that’s hard to learn in Logic? ;)

I think you vastly underestimate how complex Logic is to a novice.

If you turn the Advanced Tools off, Logic becomes way simpler. I think that was the purpose when they added that option, don’t you think? ;)

They added it to bridge the gap between GarageBand and full-blown Logic.

I reiterate: you vastly underestimate how complex Logic is to a novice.

Garageband is literally "pick an instrument and record it, there's a volume control for each instrument at the left".

The fact that Logic is built around channel strips is a HUGE step and requires a basic understanding of consoles and studio structure.

It's a complete rethink for most people coming from the GarageBand idea of "I can play some guitar and want to record a song".

I say this as a music teacher and a guy who used to sell (and support) Macs for a living.

People tend to lose perspective of just how much they actually know, and how much they've needed to learn to get where they are. Especially geeks who hang around internet forums. ;)

The new ipads have same chip as the new macbooks.

and even previous generation had M1's predecessor :)

as far as inputs go... macbook has one more input, and i can connect my whole studio on it while still having a thunderbolt port to spare.

the only thing holding the iPad back is Apple

The new ipads have same chip as the new macbooks.

and even previous generation had M1's predecessor :)

as far as inputs go... macbook has one more input, and i can connect my whole studio on it while still having a thunderbolt port to spare.

the only thing holding the iPad back is Apple

The entire reason for iPad's existence is an interface designed from the ground up around touch.

Hardware is not the issue. A total redesign of Logic is.

Unless they do something stupid like enable the Mac version on iOS, but only when a mouse is connected or so. That would be easy to do now that the platforms run on the same hardware, but then it wouldn't be "Logic for iOS" — it would be macOS Logic, running on iOS as a Mac application, breaking the fundamentals of iOS.

They've already done it vice-versa (enabling iOS apps on the Mac, which is nearly equally as stupid IMO), so who's to say they won't break their own concept, though…

it's stupid but then again, if i run iOS versions of messenger and instagram they for some reason eat 80% less resources

I'm confused by this. The Mac-native FB Messenger from the App Store uses 0.0% CPU when I close the window. There is no native Mac Instagram app AFAIK.

it uses (or it used to) 500mb of RAM, vse iOS version that uses 90mb

i know ppl who live & die by garageband, some of them on ipads. and honestly, i see no harm in the idea of logic on ipadOS, but... see no need either lol.

i'm more interested in seeing LP developed, refined, fixed... on macOS. but again, who knows what's to come? only apple, and they'll tell us whatever, whenever.

I use my iPad for composing ideas, with various apps. I often consolidate those ideas in GB iOS because it’s free and a conduit to Logic on my Mac. I do all my music production in Logic in my a studio. Rather than Logic for iOS I’d rather see Apple deliver better integration between GarageBand and Logic. Today, there are many gaps and it results in a lot of rework in Logic.