Plugin to see/compare processing?

Hi, I was using Mastering The Mix's "Reference & Ref Send" to see the affects of Slate's Fresh Air. You can use Refsend at the top of the channel to tap into and flip back & forth with the original file and see (and hear of course) the curve difference. However the EQ curve resolution in Reference is not very detailed, and not made for this. Does anyone know of a plugin that is designed to do this? Reference is of course made for the Master Bus, but I was using it on a vocal channel to experiment. Thanks!

Hey Thanks! I also found Plugin Doctor, but it's standalone only.

So I'm still looking for something more like MTM Reference 2 (with the increased resolution), as the other 2 don't allow you to work on an actual audio track/source... to see what the actual changes are as I work and try things. Say my source is more like a sinewave and I insert Satson Bus... I would see the actual harmonic(s) added whereas with Bertom... it supplies some basic broadband audio behind the scenes and it's not so clear. Much more complex result to see.

Thanks!

I'm a firm believer that you can't see mix or even just EQ quality.

Like, you might shape a steady white noise generator to give the exact same frequency response like a Stewart Copeland snare hit and you would learn nothing from it. And even when comparing snares, their frequency spectrum alone is not even half of an accurate description of the sound. And then even the exact same snare (sample) will work in one song and not work in another or work when played ahead of the beat and not when played behind it. Which plugin could tell you that ?

I'm a firm believer that you can't see mix or even just EQ quality.

Like, you might shape a steady white noise generator to give the exact same frequency response like a Stewart Copeland snare hit and you would learn nothing from it. And even when comparing snares, their frequency spectrum alone is not even half of an accurate description of the sound. And then even the exact same snare (sample) will work in one song and not work in another or work when played ahead of the beat and not when played behind it. Which plugin could tell you that ?

Whatever works for you. You could say I’m just curious. Actually after 30 years of music I’m still learning things and I can also use all the help I can get. LOL. I’m not using it to mix. I actually just wanted to see the curve of fresh air as well as hear it and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that and no reason to discourage it. You can make an extreme example like trying to make white noise sound like a snare but that is kind of reaching don’t you think?

Whatever works for you, mate. I was trying to illustrate how any tool can only show you an ever so tiny facet of what a sound actually is and what it does in your project.

Me: Wow look at this beautiful polished rock I found at the ocean. I wonder how it got that way?

You: Don't bother. You will never understand the complexities of nature from that rock. haha.

I actually love exploring all the tiny facets and KNOW they all come together to help me. YMMV.

You've answered some questions here before for me, and I appreciate that. But you probably should have just scrolled on by for this one.

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I guess what I failed to convey is this:

It's not that you can't gather bits of knowledge by looking at an isolated aspect, I give you that.

It's more the entirely visual approach which, while easy, can actually keep you from developing your ears which somehow are always better for an accurate judgment.