The "mono" reality of most smartphones

I was under the assumption that when we play a song on a smartphone (without headphones), though there is only one visible speaker, both left/right will merge and play from it. I have two android phones Xiaomi redmi note 7 pro, and a Samsung M32. I wanted to test and found this link (

) that emits a different sound based on mono/stereo. I realized that both the phones'speakers are mono. How is it that most music plays well even when played from mobile inbuilt speaker? I remember hearing even panned sounds well by default. I used a direction mixer for pads in my new song. The correlation meter shows far left meaning its not mono. But I love direction mixer. How to have the width and still be compatible with mono speakers?

I did not post this in Logic Pro forum as I felt it a generic production question.

• 1 month later...
as soon as you start going beyond 100% with the direction mixer, you're introducing phase issues. and if you're using more than one instance of this... all hell breaks loose (more or less).

phones that have stereo (like later iphones), play stereo when in landscape, and mono in portrait mode.

Is it so? There is no video and I am delivering stereo MP3. How does portrait or landscape mode effect normal audio files?

The correlation meter shows far left meaning its not mono.

Far left means it's out of phase, which you don't want at all.

How to have the width and still be compatible with mono speakers?

Mix in stereo and don't worry about it.

OK. Thank you. But now I found a new Pad VST that sounds equally good in left and right headphones and having the Direction Mixer at 200% creates lesser volume and wider ambience. Is it wrong to use the direction mixer on just the background pad track?

Far left means it's out of phase, which you don't want at all.

Mix in stereo and don't worry about it.

OK. Thank you. But now I found a new Pad VST that sounds equally good in left and right headphones and having the Direction Mixer at 200% creates lesser volume and wider ambience. Is it wrong to use the direction mixer on just the background pad track?

does it sound good in monitors as well? otherwise, i'd say, if it works for you, go for it.

does it sound good in monitors as well? otherwise, i'd say, if it works for you, go for it.

Yes. Though its originality is lost, it does create a wider space when direction mixer is stretched out fully. It is only a background pad and in fact that way it is not intruding into core melody. Thank you.

having the Direction Mixer at 200% creates lesser volume and wider ambience. Is it wrong to use the direction mixer on just the background pad track?

If you have less volume that means things are getting cancelled because they are out of phase and you loose low end most likely.

Always check your correlation meter and try to keep it from center to the right.

If it stays a lot on the left side, your music is out of phase.