Arturia v8 Collection vs Logic VSTs

I noticed Arturia does a great job on making their instruments look exactly like the legacy synths. “Legendary Keyboards Reinvented” is their tag line, and it’s clear what Jun-6, OB-Xa, JUP-8, and Stage-73 will sound like. Logic instruments are not so obvious. For beginners, they often ask me “which Logic instrument is a DX7?” I love Logic, but Arturia has made it easier for beginners to find the sounds they want. As a result, I’ve accumulated some 3rd party VSTs just because it’s easier. I know I can create similar sounds with Logic - and some instruments like the Sampler, Retro Synth, Vintage B3, Vintage Electric Piano and Clav are really top notch, but I keep having to answer this question about finding legacy keyboard sounds like Korg M1, Yamaha DX7, Roland Juno, ARP or Oberhiem. I know, I know… the Sampler libraries are limitless….

Can anybody with Arturia v8 Collection explain why they bought these VSTs instead of using the 24 delivered Logic VSTs?

I think the premise for this question is wrong.

Beginners will have no idea what to choose for a certain sound if you put them in a room chock full with 80s and 90s hardware synths or give them software lookalikes.

Also, anyone who has touched a DX7 will recognize that colour scheme even on the otherwise unspecific FM-skin of Retro-Synth, which, ironically, is much worse at emulating a DX7 than, for instance Native's FM8, which doesn't look DX7-ish at all.

I only have Analog Lab since version 2 and Pigments, and I'm not a keyboardist/pianist at all, but because I wasn't told about Logic's stock keys VSTs past Alchemy, I just used AL because I knew and could understand what those synths were supposed to emulate. I was given Komplete 10 in school, so I wanted to use those a lot as well. Even with the effects...when Logic released the Pultec, Neve and API clones, if you were new to Logic and didn't really know these at all, then you were golden. I do like them, especially the Pultec (Vintage Tube), and having worked with the outboard dealie, I'm pleased with its ease of use and sound. But are you, as a seasoned user of Logic and, let's say UA plugins, gonna stop using those and start using Logic's? And it's not even solely about processing speed for tracking or mixdown.

I imagine the ease of use and familiarity will be enough for some peeps to buy v8 or AL, but you have a point. It already exists in Logic in some way. They - and I, now that I know - just gotta get our hands dirty and get our ears ready for the shootout...

I had the V Collection before getting Logic. I personally like fooling myself having a make-believe software version of a synth I know but can't afford. To the point I hardly ever use the Advanced panel with the extra features added by Arturia, and keep it as faithful as possible to the real thing. So as good as Logic's synths may sound, they don't fill that particular gap for me.

Having said that, in the case of electric pianos and organs I do prefer the sound of Logic's offerings.

For beginners, getting the full collection in one chock-full can be a little overwhelming. I've had guys asking things like "which one do I use for bass?". Like they're not aware any one of those synths was all you could afford back in the day and learned them inside and out to squeeze every possible sound out of them.

I always give them the same advice: make a full song for each one of them, using just the one per song to get all the sounds, and soon you'll get a feel for their particular strengths and weaknesses + it's a good exercise to get to know them.

I bought the Arturia V8 collection mainly out of nostalgia. However they also do sound terrific!

As fuzzfilth mentionned, Logic Retro synth although sounding pretty good, isn’t really faithful to the DX7’s sound. And if you wished to reproduce a specific DX7 preset in Retrosynth: good luck! FM8 allows to import SysEx used in the old DX7, to reproduce quite faithfully any given original DX7 preset.

Arturia’ DX7 V does the same, and you have a similar interface from the original Yamaha’s DX7 to further work with…

As a bonus, Arturia’s DX7 V features extra functions which pimps considerably the sound, if desired.

IOW, I am definitely a happy customer and at the risk of appearing as an advertiser, I do recommend Arturia’s collection!

Great insight. I have…

- DexED free VST for DX7

- Arturia Analog Lab (free)

- Korg legacy collection (I bought for a mere $79 almost 10 years ago)

- Spitfire Audio Lab (free)

- Ample Guitar & P Bass

… and an assortment of others. I’m kinda missing the classic Roland sound catalog, although I have a closet full of old synths I have dusted off and used as external midi devices.

Generally, I can find what I’m looking for in Logic instruments and prefer them, if only because they’re nicely integrated and I can share Logic projects with collaborators who also have Logic. When I do use 3rd party VSTs I tend to bounce the sounds to an audio track.

I am thinking about the Arturia v8 collection, and selling the legacy synths in the closet.

The real issue is what advice to give to Logic beginners. I’ve thought about drafting a mapping that says “Roland Juno 6 = Logic Retro Synth” or something like that.

I think the premise for this question is wrong.

Beginners will have no idea what to choose for a certain sound if you put them in a room chock full with 80s and 90s hardware synths or give them software lookalikes.

Also, anyone who has touched a DX7 will recognize that colour scheme even on the otherwise unspecific FM-skin of Retro-Synth, which, ironically, is much worse at emulating a DX7 than, for instance Native's FM8, which doesn't look DX7-ish at all.

You’re right - the premise is wrong.

As usual, I’m mixing 2 issues into 1 question. I work with some prof musicians that primarily gig in cover bands, who have been learning Logic for home studio recording since the pandemic hit us. They’re references are these legacy synths and keyboards they’ve played live over the last 30+ years. For them, Arturia v8 collection makes for an easier translation of their ideas. On the other hand, I have some younger artists that don’t know what a DX7 is! (they also seemed shocked to see an actual Roland 707 from my closet).