New Macbook and Onboard Storage?

My 2015 Macbook Pro is on it's way out. I was going to hold out for the next generation Macbook Pros, but I don't think I can afford to, because I need to keep up and running since I have a bunch of projects underway. So, I think I'm going to break down and get the latest 16" Macbook pro.

I work remotely so I was excited about getting enough storage on the computer so I didn't have to hook up external hard drives whenever I needed to work with a Kontakt library or wanted to access my photo or itunes library.

But someone just suggested that it wasn't a good idea to use onboard storage for anything other than my system, software and plugins.....

I'm fortunate enough that cost isn't a big concern for me. The convenience of not having to wrangle external drives every time I want to work on the road is very appealing... but if it's true that I'm only going to put too much stress on the computer I don't mind saving money and using external SSD drives for everything (even storing working projects). So far I've been keeping projects with all the audio files (minus Kontact instruments) on my computer until I'm ready to archive them! Have I had it all wrong this whole time? Am I wrong to splurge on a bunch of extra storage space on a new macbook?

Thank you!

What about my concern with onboard storage? Silly to sacrifice performance for the convenience of having everything onboard?

The SSDs on the new Apple laptops are fast. So doing everything on the system drive should be no problem.

It all depends if you have additional sample libraries from Kontakt and the like that would fill up the drive immediately.

I recommend a 1TB internal SSD paired with any of the 1TB external NvME SSDs - I am really happy with that combination. The SanDisk Extreme holds the BIG libraries, I work on the projects on the internal, then transfer to external for moving to the studio library.

Nice, that makes a lot of sense!