Sampling older hardware, using Logic Autosampler (advice)

Hi,

I was wondering if someone had some general advice on this. I have some hardware synths I would like to use Autosampler to record them in Logic, but I would like some advice on it. Not the process itself, but more towards optimization. How many octaves and keys, trying to be realistic about file sizes; etc. Recommended note lengths.

Any tips would be great, because even one good one will surely save some mistakes. :)

I ask this here, because it's not really a specific software sampler topic. (yet).

Thank you,

c

I think that it all depends of the sound characteristics to be sampled.

If you wish not having to repeat the scanning process, one might consider sampling more notes and eventually ending deleting the not so useful ones afterwards. That implies remapping, which is a rather quick edit task when targeting only the lowest / highest notes.

With very old synth (presenting pitch instability) I would consider Round Robin more cautiously.

But honestly, I don't really see a general rule that fits all situations...

Ok, I certainly see your point about the number of notes to record. HDD space usage really should not matter in today's age of multi-TB externals and fast network connections, so you are right. Better to have and not need... I'm sure each patch/preset also should be factored in, to keep an appropriate note length relative to the individual patch. But with more notes per patch; it's also more time spent on each one. Lucky I'm not exactly in a rush.

The synths are older, but they are early 90s digital stuff. I'd like to try doing this for learning and cataloging purposes.