How to record and playback multiple MIDI tracks through external Mono Synth

Hello, guys

I have been using a Korg Monologue recently, which is a monophonic analogue synth, and I would leek to be able to use it to create different tracks within a project.

The thing is, of course, that said synth is monophonic, hence you cannot make it playback two different tracks at the same time.

One solution I believe would be of course bouncing the MIDI record to an AUDIO one (maybe), in order to have multiple tracks recorded with the Korg Monologue.

But I would like to know if you guys, who are far more expert than me, could have some better tips or solutions.

Thank you very much as always.

Since the synthesizer itself is not polyphonic, I believe that what you'll have no choice but to do is to first record your performance to an "External MIDI" track, then set up a companion "Audio" track through which you can record the corresponding audio output through an appropriate interface device. (Which may or may not have "knobs" of its own ...)

Simply "solo" the desired MIDI track, and record-enable the corresponding audio track. Then hit "play." Logic sends the MIDI to the device and records the result. (Then, immediately switch off "record enable!" Yeah – "lesson learned.")

Although you might be able to capture both the MIDI and the corresponding sound at the same time, I've found it more convenient and reliable to do it in two separate stages. And the very nice thing is that you can tweak the MIDI and almost-immediately obtain the corresponding sound ... as many times as you like. Unlike a session musician, the synth is absolutely repeatable and never asks for overtime pay.

In a separate file or notebook, keep very careful notes of the exact hardware settings that you used. Literally, put some kind of reference number next to the thing and photograph the front panel with your phone. Write it down too. Be sure that you can, by whatever means, associate those settings with the track on which they were used ... even weeks or months later.