What is the best way to backup my Mac?

You don't have to. TM is managing everything in the background, doing hourly backups for current stuff, daily backups of older stuff and weekly backups of yet older stuff, without piling up the same file versions over and over. It's a very clever way to give better access to recent files in situations where you accidentally saved over a better version from two hours ago while still keeping the data size manageable.

TM backs up everything by default. You can exclude certain folders and files if you want. For instance, some email programs handle all messages in one big file on disk and there's little point in repeatedly backing up a 4GB+ file just because you deleted one spam message or wrote a happy birthday to your niece, so you would exclude this big file from the TM backup.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage of backing up my MBP to an external hd vs TM?

Or is there any advantage/disadvantage of backing up my MBP to TM vs an external hd? :)

huh? time machine requires an external drive; and it's a deep backup, ie files you wouldn't normally just copy to an external (for example, it backs up your mail). if you want to do this right, fuzzfilth has already explained it...

I've cloned my main system drive and my external virtual instrument plugins drive. Next to this, I back my new songs up daily to yet another external drive

I recommend backing up the project files to a separate disk as well. I don't keep an external drive connected to my Mac at all times, so I backup with Time Machine once per week. However, I backup my project files to an external disk after each session. I'm not saying this is the best method; letting Time Machine keep the hard disk backed up more frequently is certainly safer. I would hate to lose a recording or mixing session, and that is why I backup after each session to an external disk dedicated to my music project files.

I've cloned my main system drive and my external virtual instrument plugins drive. Next to this, I back my new songs up daily to yet another external drive

I recommend backing up the project files to a separate disk as well. I don't keep an external drive connected to my Mac at all times, so I backup with Time Machine once per week. However, I backup my project files to an external disk after each session. I'm not saying this is the best method; letting Time Machine keep the hard disk backed up more frequently is certainly safer. I would hate to lose a recording or mixing session, and that is why I backup after each session to an external disk dedicated to my music project files.

if you're backing up to an external disk, what's the gain, exactly? since time machine backs up to... an external disk. just trying to grasp the idea. plugging in your time machine drive, or a different drive; you still need to plug in a drive....

• 2 weeks later...

Jumping in...

Since I'm upgrading my whole system as I now have an M1, I'm looking at my backup plan too. About TM, a simple question... If it's always on, doing its job in the background, isn't there an issue, to some degree, with that interfering with running a session in Logic since it must be using some resources to do its thing?