Big Sur upgrade MBP mid 2018 > heat shutdowns

Guys,

Anyone experienced this: Not once ever on this machine have I had a heat related issue (ok, that I know of as I haven't been constantly monitoring for that, but not with these symptoms, or anything like them) and after I upgraded to Big Sur, I've had several self-shutdowns, for eg. last two consecutive Fridays during my DJ live stream (OBS, Traktor, Pioneer DJM-900nxs, ATEM Mini Pro ISO) about 90 minutes and a couple of Logic and Final Cut sessions. No stutter, no warning, just freeze, then black screen. Machine has to be restarted from the power button after which it works normal. It's not optimal for live DJing... :P

Intel Power Gadget shows the machine idling with no other apps between 68-80°C (room temp 22°C) and with pretty much any load, any active noodling with anything, like Safari, Mail, Traktor, Logic (I understand these are different in terms of CPU usage, but) even the lighter stuff on the temps are consistently 90+°C, so I'm guessing that's why the shutdowns. They started clearly sharply directly after the Big Sur upgrade. I've tried to go thru my apps and drivers for old offending stuff that could cause something like this and for a sec I thought I cracked it, as I had my several tens of thousands strong Photos library analyze in the background, but after killing that, it still is not cooling down. No Norton, no other virus scans etc, shouldn't be any malware and I checked for the most common stuff, but I've been pretty careful about that in general.

Does anyone have Intel Power Gadget or similar on a similar machine? What is your idle temp?

I've re-done thermal paste on my older 2015 MBP, but that was easy, these newer ones have to be torn apart muuuch more and there are also a couple of pretty tricky cable detachings, which I'm not sure I want to try.

Even if I did the re-pasting, I'm not sure that'll help, as this thing started so suddenly, AND right after the OS upg.

Cheers,

Thanks, I have booted to safe-mode and back to normal, no real help, idle temps still at least 70-80 something, but not yet reset nvram and smc. Going to do that next, but it irritates me (or my slight not-so-hidden) OCD that I don't know what "settings are/could be reverted back to default" (the support article says something like that), ie. what do I need to re-set back afterwards, if anything. I mean, yeah, I can figure it out, but I don't want to be in the middle of something and then something I'm not used to is happening or not working, only for me to hunt for a setting that was reset. It's totally possible that I'm making too big a deal out of that, though ;)

Thanks, I have booted to safe-mode and back to normal, no real help, idle temps still at least 70-80 something, but not yet reset nvram and smc. Going to do that next, but it irritates me (or my slight not-so-hidden) OCD that I don't know what "settings are/could be reverted back to default" (the support article says something like that), ie. what do I need to re-set back afterwards, if anything. I mean, yeah, I can figure it out, but I don't want to be in the middle of something and then something I'm not used to is happening or not working, only for me to hunt for a setting that was reset. It's totally possible that I'm making too big a deal out of that, though ;)

probably worth trying, for the bigger issue. also, fwiw, i've done these things on every mac i've owned, since the 1800's (ok, not quite that far back), and have only once had anything change (my screen resolution reverted to default. if there's an issue with any of your external devices, an smc reset could help, and make sure all software and drivers are up-to-date.

keep us posted...