Apollo Twin X questions

Hi I picked up an Apollo Twin X from Guitar Center this weekend because I want to step up my home recording game, and because it's been recommended by a few different folks.

I'm considering returning it, and wanted to get some thoughts first from the folks here.

On first hooking it up, and tracking some vocals, I'm not noticing a significant difference from the cheapo $50 Behringer Amazon special I've been using. There's definitely a difference in tone, but I was expecting like a night and day difference…which is what I was sold on by the rep at GC.

I haven't dived too much into configuration yet, and I'm still a bit baffled TBH with what seems like a bit of an unexpected learning curve. I produce music on the side of a very busy schedule, work with Logic, and enjoy just being able to quickly jump into a very easy and straightforward setup without having to do much fiddling or troubleshooting and just focus on creating.

I'm wondering if:

a) the Apollo Twin really is night and day to cheaper interfaces and it's just in the configuration and based on my experience I just haven't gotten it configured correctly yet

b) if the above is a Yes, is the learning curve too steep for someone who has very limited time to work on this stuff at this point in his life?

Thanks so much for your input!

PS. If configuration is to some extent a one and done process I would consider hiring someone in the LA area to come by for an hour or two and just help me get set up and show me the basics if anyone here has any referrals, or is in the area and has expertise here.

PS. If configuration is to some extent a one and done process I would consider hiring someone in the LA area to come by for an hour or two and just help me get set up and show me the basics if anyone here has any referrals, or is in the area and has expertise here.

I just sent you an email. I can help you out.

I just sent you an email. I can help you out.

Thanks,

Did you have any thoughts on what I posted above?

I'm not surprised that you aren't hearing a night-and-day difference in sound. Audio interfaces aren't supposed to have a tone, they're supposed to be transparent, so the difference between el-cheapo-transparent and quality-transparent is not going to be night and day.

However as you improve in your recording skills, your room acoustics, your microphones etc... you're bound to get better results with the Apollo vs the Behringer, especially as you mix multiple tracks of multiple recordings. The small differences add up.

the Apollo Twin really is night and day to cheaper interfaces and it's just in the configuration and based on my experience I just haven't gotten it configured correctly yet

Like David already mentioned, there's no night and day scenarios between interfaces.

The difference becomes evident in the long run with gaining experience and whe adding layers of recorded music with cheapo interfaces.

I’ve got an Audio-Technica 4040.

Do you think I’d get better bang for my buck by upgrading my microphone?

No, that's a fine microphone.

I think you may be trying to fix a problem you don't have? Are you unhappy with the quality of your recordings? Perhaps you need to spend more time finding the right mic position, treat your room a bit or find the right position in your room?

It's easy to think that buying something new will magically make your productions sound better but that's rarely the case. Most of the time it's experimentation, work, practicing your mixing skills... etc.

Feel free to share one of your recording with us if you'd like us to hear it.

Yes, of course I want to buy something new that will magically make my productions sound better! :P

I partly just want to capture a clearer, more present vocal. Here's a track I'm working on now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7gv7xfzfjqnyh7/Week%2010%20-%20WAGMI%2013.mp3?dl=0 (let me know if this link doesn't work...don't see a way to attach an mp3 here)

Same with acoustic guitar, but this isn't a good representation as the guitar on this recording is still a scratch recorded via a line input. The bass and drums here were recorded elsewhere.

Would love any feedback.

I was looking into renting time in a local studio, but that can get expensive fast so would much rather get things sounding better at home.

Basically looking for the least time-intensive way to get things sounding better.

Thanks for the help!

Listened to your example, that's actually a great song! Wow, I like this. This reminds me of the type of songs I constantly hear getting licensed for movies, netflix series etc...

So it doesn't sound half bad but it could definitely benefit from getting a decent mixing job. If I were you I would practice your mixing skills. Start with EQ and basic compression for leveling so that you get your vocal level more consistent throughout the track.

The electric guitar solo is a little too present on the other hand and could benefit from a bit of space, reverb, EQ to fit the mix a little more so it's not so jarring.

So basically a couple of mixing tweaks here and there and you're good to go.

Thanks David!

So basically…"fix it in post"?

;)

Well if you're ready to go back to the drawing board and work on your mic position, mic technique, room treatment, etc.. then of course that's even better. But with what you already have right there, it needs a little TLC with your mixing tools. In music production, EQ and compression aren't swear words, there's nothing wrong with using them to enhance what you've already captured.

Thanks David!

So basically…"fix it in post"?

;)

Well if you're ready to go back to the drawing board and work on your mic position, mic technique, room treatment, etc.. then of course that's even better. But with what you already have right there, it needs a little TLC with your mixing tools. In music production, EQ and compression aren't swear words, there's nothing wrong with using them to enhance what you've already captured.

Thanks David...the guitar and vocal here aren't what I'm considering final takes (at least wasn't before your kind comments), so I am very much planning on re-recording this. Maybe it's time to reach out to Triplets :)

Triplets came by my place yesterday and gave me some great pointers and advice on my workflow and my setup. The man is a legend!

One outcome is that I am going to return the Apollo for a less expensive unit that will still give me what I need at this point in time.

Great! I love it. Sometimes there's nothing like having a knowledgeable professional on your side helping you out and giving out advice and recommendations. I'm happy to hear that Ernesto helped you out. Plus you're saving money by returning an expensive piece of equipment that wasn't really needed in your setup! :D