Pro Tips for Migrating to New Computer?

My M1Macbook Pro arrived in the mail!!! I think my current laptop is barely going to survive setting up the new one, so it's perfect timing!

I'm pretty sure I won't use the migration assistant in an effort to de-clutter. I'm wondering if you have any tips on setting up a new computer that can help me avoid a lot of pain in the process. One thing I feel like I'm going to have to do is figure out if/how I can run an older OS like Catalina (my current operating system) on there...

Lot's of knowledgeable people here so any tips are very welcome!

- d

Pro tip - don't try to downgrade the OS on the new computer. The M1 started life as a Big Sur computer, and has been since the beginning. In fact - upgrade to Monterey as the first thing, then install things as needed.

Trying to use older macOS is simply a path to pain.

My new MBP shows up tomorrow. I will use migration assistant to transfer from M1 MacBook Air, but have a small thought to simply doing a ground-up re-install the world. Install things as needed. It is a "second" computer, designated to travel, so my working environment isn't really disrupted.

• 2 months later...
no reason, at all, to partition these days. my suggestion: clean out your old mac, ie get rid of anything you don't need, including old applications (ie old versions of Office, for example) so you're only migrating over what you want. run a TM backup, plug that drive into the new mac... boot up, migrate. sort out whatever on the new mac, and get to work!