Layer (kick-)drum over instrumental

Maybe isolate the drums from the instrumental audio file using Izotope Rx Music Rebalance (if you have the money) or look up something called Demuc which I think is fee.

Or maybe try sidechain compress the drums in the instrumental to your new drums. Might work better with a multi band compressor.

Maybe isolate the drums from the instrumental audio file using Izotope Rx Music Rebalance (if you have the money) or look up something called Demuc which I think is fee.

Or maybe try sidechain compress the drums in the instrumental to your new drums. Might work better with a multi band compressor.

Hi!

Thank you so much for answering!

I’ve tried to filter out the drums but there’s so much percussion going on that it ruins the rest of the instruments :(

I’m quite new to using the compressor. Should I use the compressor on the drums to sidechain it to the instrumental or should I use the compressor on the instrumental and sidechain it to the drums?

You will not be able to unmix the drums just like you can't uncook the lasagna your granny does so tastefully.

There is software out there which can split up music into stems with surprisingly good separation, but at the same time introduces so strong artefacts that the result is unusable unless you're into the genre of strong artefacts.

It's better to create a new piece in pretty much all cases.

What's the purpose of this exercise ?

Put the compressor on the instrumental and sidechain to the the new drum track. It should work ok if it’s just the kick. You’ll have to play around with the knee settings though and it’d definitely be better with a multiband compressor. Plus, it’ll have to be to the same beat. Gotta be honest, I’m just guessing here really, I’ve never tried it myself - let us know how you get on.

viewtopic.php?t=148802

This person tried it with TDR Nova and suggested it works. Bear in mind he had to bounce the MIDI drum to an audio file though.

So just to clarify, you’re putting Nova on the instrumental, finding the frequency of the original kick, sidechaining it to the new kick (which you might have to export to audio) and adjusting the ‘Q’ to see what works.

https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=148802

This person tried it with TDR Nova and suggested it works. Bear in mind he had to bounce the MIDI drum to an audio file though.

So just to clarify, you’re putting Nova on the instrumental, finding the frequency of the original kick, sidechaining it to the new kick (which you might have to export to audio) and adjusting the ‘Q’ to see what works.

Just wanted to pop on here and tell you: thank you so, so, so much!!!!!! I downloaded the free trial of TDR Nova and it's sooooo much easier to use than the Logic compressors. I'm now playing around with different settings and trying to figure out the sound that sounds the best and what I personally like the most but it sounds SO much better!! I will try it out on other tracks as well!! Thank you once again! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: