Contour Shuttle Pro Settings for Logic

So I checked all the posts related to the contour shuttle here, it appears that each time the user requesting a Logic template is encouraged to set up his own.

Fair enough. I have two questions for fellow Logic 8/ Shuttle Pro users.

1. What do I need to do (or where do I find it in the preferences/manual) to config the jog-shuttle wheel for incremental Fast Forward/Fast Rewind?

2. Besides a basic stop/play/record/ff/rw transport, what are you guys assigning the other buttons to?

It's always good to get others perspective on things like this...

Thanks in advance,

1. What do I need to do (or where do I find it in the preferences/manual) to config the jog-shuttle wheel for incremental Fast Forward/Fast Rewind?

2. Besides a basic stop/play/record/ff/rw transport, what are you guys assigning the other buttons to?

Hi Jason,

Here is a setup I like. And some usage notes.

I did need to set up a few custom key command preferences.

I keep the shuttle off to the left for left-handed use.

My left thumb can easily hit the lower shift button

then the middle transport buttons take on secondary functions like:

"Rewind" becomes "Fast Rewind"

"Stop" becomes "Play or Stop and Go to last Locate Position"

"Play" becomes "Play from Selection"

My favorite all time key command is the button left of stop "Disgard Recording and Return to last Play Position".

Beyond canceling a recording I use it all the time (after play and stop) to return to a position and with "Shift" it becomes play from previous bar.

I set my 3most used editor windows across the top buttons with "Record" being the top right. Lower buttons I change around as needed.

I will post in the next message how I set up the shuttle wheel.

Mark R.

ShuttlePro_L8.png.7853f8a63b72074bfd1aa9359f410d70.png

And to continue here is a way to setup the shuttle wheel.

I defined Logic's key commands:

"Shuttle Rewind" as "Control Comma"

"Shuttle Forward" as "Control Period"

Logic's shuttle (as of version 8.01) responds to 6 step of acceleration and only 3 steps to decelerate back to stop. The trick is to only use the ShuttlePro's "Transition" settings. Set the zone settings to "do nothing".

On my old G4 this works well as long as I don't let go of the wheel and let it snap back to stop. (It will miss a few key commands and won't stop.) (The 7th acceleration below isn't really needed but it doesn't hurt anything so I left it in there.)

Transition -7 to -6 Do Nothing

Transition -6 to -5 Do Nothing

Transition -5 to -4 Do Nothing

Transition -4 to -3 Do Nothing

Transition -3 to -2 keystroke: control + .

Transition -2 to -1 keystroke: control + .

Transition -1 to 0 keystroke: control + .

Transition 0 to 1 keystroke: control + .

Transition 1 to 2 keystroke: control + .

Transition 2 to 3 keystroke: control + .

Transition 3 to 4 keystroke: control + .

Transition 4 to 5 keystroke: control + .

Transition 5 to 6 keystroke: control + .

Transition 6 to 7 keystroke: control + .

Transition 7 to 6 Do Nothing

Transition 6 to 5 Do Nothing

Transition 5 to 4 Do Nothing

Transition 4 to 3 Do Nothing

Transition 3 to 2 keystroke: control + ,

Transition 2 to 1 keystroke: control + ,

Transition 1 to 0 keystroke: control + ,

Transition 0 to -1 keystroke: control + ,

Transition -1 to -2 keystroke: control + ,

Transition -2 to -3 keystroke: control + ,

Transition -3 to -4 keystroke: control + ,

Transition -4 to -5 keystroke: control + ,

Transition -5 to -6 keystroke: control + ,

Transition -6 to -7 keystroke: control + ,

Good Luck,

Mark R.

Wow...

Thanks very much for all this Mark.

That's exactly the kind of response I was looking for, and then some..

I've gotta finish a project that was due 4 hours ago, but late tonight or first thing tomorrow, I'm digging into this and setting up the Shuttle Pro.

The "Disregard Recording" option is one I did not know about, but is something I could've used the hell out of recently!!

Thank you again for the detailed response,

• 1 year later...

ok let me just talk this out as a reality check. make sure i know what i'm doing.

i got logic 9 now. i think some of the key commands have changed.

but the idea is this...

in Logic's Key Commands section, find a command, say Rewind (comma)

in Contour Shuttle's settings... enter that command (comma) in the Keystroke section of the User Action you want, say turn Jog left.

not a fabulous example, but that's the basic idea?

wash, rinse, repeat?

and to my knowledge, no one's posted a Logic Key Command set (.logikcs file) and Shuttle Pro settings file for beginners to Logic, Shuttle Pro, or both?

realizing of course that everyone has their favorite key command settings and there isn't One True Command Set™ to rule them all. :D

thanks. I'm really enjoying LP9.

ok let me just talk this out as a reality check.

That's about right. You don't have to configure it all at once either. As you find you need a key command often, assign it then.

realizing of course that everyone has their favorite key command settings and there isn't One True Command Set™ to rule them all. :D

True. Too many workflows to have it cover everything. I use mine for editing commands and modifiers. Selecting tools, nudge, pickup clock, scrub, snip, etc. It makes editing quick. My left hand stays on the shuttle pro and right hand on the mouse and I can do anything I need with regions. But for someone that spends most of their time in the Score and Hyper editors, it would be very different.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I just found this thread while trying to figure out how to program my jog wheel.

A modification I found after using the transition tip above is to only use the positives for forward and the negatives for reverse and then set zone 0 to 'hit stop once'. This way you can let go of the jog wheel and have it stop rather than go on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I just discovered something, completely by accident. If you create a new Shuttle Pro Setting and also assign it to be active when Logic is open, then you can choose between those settings by clicking on the shuttle icon at the top of your screen. Like so:

This is very cool and makes it even more usable, but is there any way to program the shuttle's buttons (say the top 4) to switch between settings (or profiles if you will) similar to the way the row of 6 buttons on the MC Transport can change the function of the jog/shuttle wheels?

I just discovered something, completely by accident. If you create a new Shuttle Pro Setting and also assign it to be active when Logic is open, then you can choose between those settings by clicking on the shuttle icon at the top of your screen. Like so:

This is very cool and makes it even more usable, but is there any way to program the shuttle's buttons (say the top 4) to switch between settings (or profiles if you will) similar to the way the row of 6 buttons on the MC Transport can change the function of the jog/shuttle wheels?

There is a "Switch Settings" available as a destination, but I can't get it to do anything. But I may be missing something.

• 1 month later...

There is a "Switch Settings" available as a destination, but I can't get it to do anything. But I may be missing something.

I picked one up to give it a try and I got it to work. This is what I had to do:

1) Close all apps.

2) Delete the Emagic Logic settings (Remove Settings...)--simply adding switch settings to this one didn't work.

3) Mapped button 13 on all my "Logic Pro XXX" settings (e.g. Logic Pro Arrange, etc) to computer response Switch Settings.

Now, when I hit button 13 it cycles through all the logic settings. As each one is selected a kind of ugly looking tool tip pops up in the left corner just below the apple menu and logic pro app menu displaying the newly selected setting (e.g. Logic Pro Arrange).

Good Luck.

Now, when I hit button 13 it cycles through all the logic settings. As each one is selected a kind of ugly looking tool tip pops up in the left corner just below the apple menu and logic pro app menu displaying the newly selected setting (e.g. Logic Pro Arrange).

Ah! The mystery of the "Switch Settings" button assignment solved! Nice going, and I'll be giving that a try.

• 5 weeks later...
I can't figure out how to setup that "Switch Settings". I tried everything and it still doesn't show anywhere. On the shuttle icon there is only Logic Pro. (not like on the picture fader8 posted) Can somebody please post more detailed info, plz? :?

I can't figure out how to setup that "Switch Settings". I tried everything and it still doesn't show anywhere. On the shuttle icon there is only Logic Pro. (not like on the picture fader8 posted) Can somebody please post more detailed info, plz? :?

If the one you are seeing is the Emagic one, delete it in addition to Fader8's tips.

...and then set zone 0 to 'hit stop once'. This way you can let go of the jog wheel and have it stop rather than go on.

Hm.. I tried this, but if u press stop twice, playhead will go to the beginning. So, the same on Shuttle.

Is there any option for stop, that if u press stop, no matter how many times, playhead stays there?

//

Roger