Line 6 Pod XT pro and outboard gear

I currently use my rack mounted pod xt pro (guitar modeling effect) as my audio interface. I want to get a apogee duet and potentially a mic preamp too....Is that doable? Please pardon my retardation here.....Long time musician, but retard when it comes to signal chain, hardware/software etc.......Its a whole new world for me.

My dream set up (for me and my budget) would be my pod which I love, a bass (rackmount) pod...in to a apogee duet, and also a mic preamp in to the duet and then in to the computer?

Am I way off here?

I prefer outboard gear to plugins go figure,,,,

Secondary question. Whast would you recommend as the most important outboard gear? The interface, compressor, limiter?

Newbie asking newbie questions :)

It's do-able, but one warning: I've tried to record my PODxt over USB while simultaneously recording through a SaffireLE over Firewire, and it's a no-go. For whatever reason (maybe it's losing sync?), the POD signal graudally degrades, and by the end of a take it's just noise. It really ought to work, and I haven't done any more digging to figure out the problem (I've started recording the POD's analog outputs instead), but that was my experience.

It's do-able, but one warning: I've tried to record my PODxt over USB while simultaneously recording through a SaffireLE over Firewire, and it's a no-go. For whatever reason (maybe it's losing sync?), the POD signal graudally degrades, and by the end of a take it's just noise. It really ought to work, and I haven't done any more digging to figure out the problem (I've started recording the POD's analog outputs instead), but that was my experience.
i got it to work before with no problem in Tiger, which i am back on now.

hey another note there: there gearbox plug in kicks ass., i mean the thing sounds great compared to other plugs, i just hope they finally get it to the point where it will sync, allow you to browse easier and do all this along with there hardware since it plays the role of the dongle for now .

Line6 says they will announce a update for there plugs that will soon, lets see.