headphone recommendations?

i was looking at those, do you think it's worth getting the 7509 HD's?

honestly, those are the only headphones I've seen in studios that i've recorded in. don't know if that's a good (like they are great) or bad (like they are cheap) thing

how is the comfort/fatigue with them? I usually have my head in phones around 2 hours a night (live in an apartment, and can't listen to music loud late)

thanks, Evan

Don't know about the 7509s, but I'll second the 7506s. Love 'em. Extremely comfortable, squeaky clean response, and they block external noise well. I currently have them connected to an extension cord running from my interface and I just wander around the studio with them whenever I need to do drums, vocals, etc.

For reference, I also regularly use AKG 240Ms, K-44s and some old school Realistic Novas. As always, still prefer the Sonys overall. The 240s are next in line, but they are bigger and even though comfortable they start to get heavy, plus they are a more open design and do not block outside noise as well.

Hi,

I absolutely recommend the Sony MDR7506.

They're within your budget, they sound amazing, they fit over your ears (not just up against them) so you don't get much background noise, they have a curly cable so it doesn't snag the faders on your desk as you lean over it, almost every part on them can be replaced with new parts when they wear out, you can wear them for 8 hours at a time (I do it on trans-atlantic flights quite often) without getting listening fatigue. Get them, you won't regret it.

Before I had the MDR 7506's I had the HD25's from Sennheiser. Good, but no-where near as good as the Sony's.

I have the 7509's and use them to check mixes etc - they're full on the bottom end which I like - and I find them to be more accurate than the 7506's.

I use 7506 for musician's who need monitoring and sometimes to check a mix - also use Audio Technica's for them - but I think the AT's are s#!+ for checking mixes as they have a false bump in the low end... and basically I"m not really into they're sound.

Another GREAT set I use are the AKG K240DF's. I love those - you can work in them all day long and they sound great.

I read a review of the Ultrasone's - haven't tried them - but from what I read only the top shelf model is really worth buying.

My choice in order from best to worst would be Sony 7509 then AKG 240DF, then Sony 7506...

Check them all out - they all sound different and its really just another tool that will shape your sound and your mixes.

I got a pair of Grado Labs SR60's about 4 months ago to go with my Duet.

Fantastic phones! Open back design, but none of the other phones I auditioned for around £100 came close in terms of accuracy, detail and clarity.

Highly recommended.

Check out the Beyer-Dynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm. They run $199. Good isolation for tracking, and good for late night mixing.

I love these!

Although the Extreme Isolations were recommended to me here, and they got rid of about 7db of headphone leakage... for when that is needed. They are loud too, where the Beyers need more juice.

Check out the Beyer-Dynamic DT770 Pro 80ohm. They run $199. Good isolation for tracking, and good for late night mixing.

I second that motion. Guitar Center let me try them out before buying. They are extremely comfortable and give you a good range while cutting out outside noise. they aren't noise cancellation but they just cuff the ear really good.

only thing i dont like is the fact that it doesnt have a stretchy cord. nothing is more annoying then trying to walk away from your computer after having them on for so long and forgetting to take them off. DOH! :?