Compression Help!

i wanna know too.. somebody suggested to me a sm58.. but i never tried it it just sounds like he dosnt know what hes talking about..

Strange attitude, but hey...

SM58 is a dynamic mic and will handle loud sounds easily. That's probably why your friend might very well know what he's talking about.

Hey all, I'm working with a metal vocalist who screams and is fairly dynamically varied. Is there any really good suiting compressors in logic for this job?

Are you looking for recording advice or mixing advice?

Recording advice if any? Cheers.

Skeletor.

Recording advice if any?

If the vocalist is using a handheld 57 or 58, then I'd recommend some kind of hardware limiter between your mic preamp and interface. Occasional plosives from a powerful singer can be very high energy and easily clip your converters, even with low mic gain settings. So a limiter set to a very high threshold so it just clamps the worst bits will save you a lot of work later, or having to throw out an otherwise good take.

SM-7 or RE-20. Fast limiter, set with a high threshold so it just brickwalls the extreme peaks (these mics are both very flat in response anyways). Make sure you have a pre that can handle a lot of range without sounding harsh or folding (it's gonna distort, it just has to sound good when it does), and leave some headroom in the digital realm (like peaks to -6dB), even if it means padding after the limiter.