About Noise Gates

Can someone tell me how to masterfully use a noise gate? I don't even really know what gates do. I'd like help with when to use a noise gate, what to use it on, and what the parameters do in Logic. I figure gating is very important and separates amateurs from pros.

The two main things I use gates for are:

1. To control the envelope of an audio event; e.g.: making the notes of a bass line more staccato.

2. To isolate an audio event from surrounding leakage or background noise, such as hiss or a hihat in a snare track.

It's important to hear that the envelope does not become artificial sounding unless that's the desired effect.

Two other common applications. The first often uses a sidechain input to the gate, the second requires one.

1. Gated reverb -- used to give the reverb tail an artificially abrupt dropoff. A classic (arguably over-used) 80's drum sound.

2. Rhythmically gating a pad or other sustained sound with a more rhythmic/percussive track fed to the sidechain.

I figure gating is very important and separates amateurs from pros.

I would rephrase that last bit.

Know when to use what tool, and how to use the tool effectively.

The noise gate is just one tool, useful in some scenarios but not a magic turd polisher.

Imagine the noise gate as a doggy door. If the music is loud enough (strong enough) it pushes the door open and gets through. If the music is too soft (or weak), it will not get through the door, and will not be heard.

Threshold sets the amplitude necessary to open the gate. (How hard do you have to push to get through?)

If the signal is below the threshold, you can set whether it is completely muted, or just attenuated (lowered in volume).

Attack and release determine how quickly the door can be opened or closed.

-=-

Imagine a recording of an instrumentalist (or vocalist) who takes pauses and rests. You could use a noise gate to cut out the background "room tone" when the talent is not performing.

This will not cut out room noise DURING the performance. Once the gate is open, everything gets through.

Like osumosan said, this has to be used carefully. It can cause very unnatural sounds. Consistent room tone might be less noticeable than it fading in and out to complete silence.

is this what I should be using to get rid of the hiss that comes along with high gain guitar sounds? i'm thinking that this would mean setting the noise gate around an isolated incident of hiss (until it's not audible), and then using it the entire track. does that sound like the right idea, or would that create weird artifacts (like some noise reduction apps)? thanks.

is this what I should be using to get rid of the hiss that comes along with high gain guitar sounds?

No.

This will not cut out room noise DURING the performance. Once the gate is open, everything gets through.

The noise gate will get rid of the noise only when the guitar is not being played.

-=-

What you are describing sounds more like noise reduction. And yes, that will cause artifacts. Which you will have to decide if they sound better than the hiss.

is this what I should be using to get rid of the hiss that comes along with high gain guitar sounds?

No.

The noise gate will get rid of the noise only when the guitar is not being played.

-=-

What you are describing sounds more like noise reduction. And yes, that will cause artifacts. Which you will have to decide if they sound better than the hiss.

okay, that works for me. thanks a bunch.