Logic at 64 bit with Snow Leopard?

There are plenty of rumors. Rumors are rumors.

There are plenty of people dealing with Logic in its current 32-bit state just fine. Of course it's understandable that RAM limitations are a problem for some, and there are ways around that too. Investigate any of the following solutions:

• use Plogue Bidule to host freestanding AU instruments

• with 5G or more of RAM, Logic's EXS-24 virtual memory (disk streaming) feature can load sample headers into free system ram outside of Logic's 4G footprint

• buy a satellite system to host your RAM-intentive AU instruments

It might also be worth keeping in mind that once Snow Leopard and any kind of Snow Leopard-compatable update to Logic are released, the whole shebang is going to be buggy as all getout. It's not that I have a crystal ball, but history always repeats itself when a "v1.0" of any kind of software is released to the public. You have to anticipate this. So even though your dream system might seem within reach when and if a Logic update is issued, it'll be at least 6 mo. to a year before you'll be able to depend on the system to work as you'd expect.

So forget about the rumors. They're worthless. All rumors do is stir up frenzied emotions. The best you can expect is that if some rumor ends up being true, you can say, "Aha! It wasn't a rumor after all!" And where does that get you?

-=sKi=-

Yeah, I hate to disagree but... I very much want it to be 64 bit as well. I understand that there will be a time of some hiccups, so personally I intend to keep a functioning Logic 8- itself not without its hiccups- on one computer, in case I have to go back in time for an important project. I understand that not everybody has another computer to use, but then again, that was one of Ski's suggestions too, simply for making the current version work more efficiently. Or I can use one of my other more stable DAWs if I really have to get something done.

And the fact is, Logic's future is as a 64 bit application, same as all of them ultimately. Why are you suggesting it be delayed? Sooner or later, we, and the third party plug in folks, and Apple, are going to have to take the plunge- why not get the rocky parts out of the way now?

why not get the rocky parts out of the way now?

My rule of thumb is that there are always going to be a large number of "I-have-to-have-it-now" types who take the plunge into the molten magma brewing inside the gaping maw of Apple's volcanic vents at the first sign of an ash plume... (my worst metaphor to date, admittedly). They'll be the ones to post on forums as to how well things are working (or not). Instead of being one of the lemurs, be a hawk, watching from a distance (a bit of a better metaphor). You can judge for yourself when it's time to go in for the kill (continuing with the hawk metaphor).

If any big issues arise from v1.0 software (which always sucks), remember that historically, Apple has been notoriously slow in issuing maintenance releases for Logic. You'll sooner see a GB update than a Logic update.

So which is better: struggle with new, buggy software, or stick with the working system you have now and wait until things improve? Honestly, I hate to offer such a disparaging forecast, but Apple moves for no man. I hope I'm proven wrong with Snowy and Logic9.

[end of 1/2-assed metaphors]

The way I see it, it's like standing in the middle of a fast running stream with a sack full of beans. If you don't get them beans out of the water, they'll sprout, but you don't know which side of the stream to plant the beans on, because one has a dragon guarding it, and the other has... el chupacabra... and you're like...

I am also notoriously bad at metaphor.

And I should mention that I am not really running a professional rig (at the moment) and so I think my needs are looser than your own. Mixed blessing for me, I guess. Besides, Apple's gonna do what Apple's gonna do, and yourself and I can huff and puff and blow the castle that the sleeping princess is in and try and hitch a rocket ship to a donkey for her, but it's still just a... donkey, I guess... with a princess...

There are plenty of people dealing with Logic in its current 32-bit state just fine. Of course it's understandable that RAM limitations are a problem for some, and there are ways around that too. Investigate any of the following solutions:

• use Plogue Bidule to host freestanding AU instruments

Ski, you opened a new world to me. I didn't know Bidule at all...

Now I downloaded and installed it, but I have a problem. I'd like to use it in Rewire mode with Logic and I've almost realized all I have to do for that scenario, but..

I can't find Plogue rewire object into Rewire device menu in Plogue.

I have this situation on my MacPro:

User/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Rewire/Plogue Bidule Engine.bundle

Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Rewire/MelodyneRewireDevice

Opening Plogue (into Rewire Devices menu) I can see only Melodyne. I tried to move "Plogue Bidule Engine.bundle" from User path to common path, but nothing changes.

What can I do to view this blessed Plogue Rewire object (the one at the lower part of the image below, taken from a tutorial)?

For the record: I haven't ever had Reason so I installed the last Rewire 1.7

Please, help..

Plogue.png.a50215cd54922aceeabd62531f590a2d.png

All works now, but I noticed a remarkable latency between playing my keyboard and hearing the sound.

Now, reading the Stevenson tutorial, Plogue should rather improve Logic Latency. So, From what could it depend?

I saw on the forum that you encountered same problems of mine at the beginning (you didn't see Plogue Rewire object) so I thought you could help me in this new issue..

Tnx

All works now, but I noticed a remarkable latency between playing my keyboard and hearing the sound.

Now, reading the Stevenson tutorial, Plogue should rather improve Logic Latency. So, From what could it depend?

I saw on the forum that you encountered same problems of mine at the beginning (you didn't see Plogue Rewire object) so I thought you could help me in this new issue..

Tnx

What size is the buffer set to in Bidule?

Yeah. I've seen that I was in rewire mode. Then I opened bidule in standalone and I saw buffer was at 256. I set it to 32 but nothing changes. Logic is at 256.

But I discovered a fundamental issue:

I noticed (seeing i.e. Kontakt 3 GUI opened in Plogue) that the delay isn't in the audio path, but in the MIDI one. In other words: I play my keyboard and the K3 GUI keyboard acts some milliseconds after. But in the moment it reacts the sound goes immediatly, so the audio isn't delayed. There's a delay between the moment I play and the bidule Midi gives the command to the Instrument device.

What could it be?

Yeah. I've seen that I was in rewire mode. Then I opened bidule in standalone and I saw buffer was at 256. I set it to 32 but nothing changes. Logic is at 256.

But I discovered a fundamental issue:

I noticed (seeing i.e. Kontakt 3 GUI opened in Plogue) that the delay isn't in the audio path, but in the MIDI one. In other words: I play my keyboard and the K3 GUI keyboard acts some milliseconds after. But in the moment it reacts the sound goes immediatly, so the audio isn't delayed. There's a delay between the moment I play and the bidule Midi gives the command to the Instrument device.

What could it be?

This is going to sound dumb, but unplug your controller and shut down the computer. Plug it back in and reboot.

Don't use Bidule 1, Bidule 2 etc, just use rewire in and out.

There was an issue with hanging notes, but it was a problem with the midi stream logic was sending, and the plogue guy put in a special case so bidule could deal with it. Works great for me now!

Using rewire both ways is delay compensated and should at least help the delay...

Peace,

Brian

He's using a combination of rewire and bidule virtual ports. Which are you using?

I'm using rewire connection and on Plogue MIDI Devices/Input/Bidule1, 2, ecc.

Don't use Bidule 1, Bidule 2 etc, just use rewire in and out.

How have I to do to use Rewire in and out?

I Tried Rewire Midi but I have same Midi delay from the moment I play my keyboard to the moment the instrument in PB reacts and play in turn its own keyboard (this is the confirm MIDI arrives delayed to PB)

I don't understand why I'm the only one who has this problem.....

• 2 weeks later...

"You'll be fine. For realtime audio work, we're just under the new Mac Pro Quad 2.66. The move to Intel chips did a lot for the video folks, but very little for the audio world. It's still a cycle to cycle comparison for most audio things"

Quote By fader8

"Coming from the IT world Hyperthreading is a PIA. We would go into the BIOS and shut it off because we found it slowing servers down instead of speeding them up. The problem you have an OS spinning off threads and managing processes because it knows what being run can optimize/schedule it. But then you have a chip that doesn't know what running it just see streams of instructions and its trying to optimize them. So its taking something organized and trying to reorganize it so things start getting out of sequence and having to wait.

Hyperthreading worked for home computers that generally were running a couple simple generally non-threaded app's at a time."

Quote By DocBop

The fact that Kontakt 3.5 is now able to utilize Kontakt Memory Server in Logic Pro 8.0.2 and only requires at least 10.4 Tiger to run proves that Logic Pro is already hybrid 32/64 Bit enabled. Snow Leopard is not even necessary. The added features with Logic Pro 9 are not even nnecessary if our 3rd party plugins can accomplish what these new features can do better and can be designed to bypass Logic Pro's memory limit just like Kontakt 3.5 has now and Battery will soon follow suit. All we need is Leopard, Logic Studio 1, and a Mac Pro Early 2008 8 Core with 32 Gigs of RAM. Any other more current Mac "Nehalem" is more power than necessary and with any studios budget and cost of operations just lunacy to invest in to keep their company afloat in this terrible economy.

Topic : L9 & new MP Quad Install Issues: Quartz Extreme capable card?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2094049&tstart=15

Topic : New STP and Compressor Not Supported on Intel-Graphic MacBooks?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2094152&tstart=30

Edited by Joe Boots

A bigger problem with 64-bit is we'll get lots of sloppy written programs. I used to work for one of the compiler companies and remember the move from 16-bit to 32-bit and how programmers stopped focusing on carefully managing memory in their app's and looks at memory as unlimited, some really bad apps for years causing a mess. So give developers 64-bit of memory to use it will be a huge mess for a few years.