features and many optimizations. The new version delivers

64-bit capability for PC, while the newly-created Memory

Server for MAC bypasses the OS X's 4 GB limit and can

address as much RAM as you have installed - even in 32-bit

hosts such as Logic or Pro Tools.

KONTAKT 3.5 also offers improved performance thanks to a

revised sampling and DFD engine plus full compatibility

with the latest version of Pro Tools. KONTAKT 3.5 is now

truly the most advanced software sampler on the market.

Feature details:

-> http://www.native-instruments.com/kontakt35.info

Now that it's out of beta, I'm willing to give it a try. From the announcement:

KONTAKT has now reached version 3.5, adding several new

features and many optimizations. The new version delivers

64-bit capability for PC, while the newly-created Memory

Server for MAC bypasses the OS X's 4 GB limit and can

address as much RAM as you have installed - even in 32-bit

hosts such as Logic or Pro Tools.

KONTAKT 3.5 also offers improved performance thanks to a

revised sampling and DFD engine plus full compatibility

with the latest version of Pro Tools. KONTAKT 3.5 is now

truly the most advanced software sampler on the market.

Feature details:

-> http://www.native-instruments.com/kontakt35.info

It is working very well here.

Pardon my ignorance here, but what does Kontakt offers that EXS doesn't? It's an honest question, I have never used Kontakt.

This $399 special for Komplete 5 has got my credit card itchy and I'm tempted to get into the whole K world (although, I already have and love Akoustik Piano, but whose counting).

My credit card was itching like poison ivy yesterday. So I scratched it. And the ivy? It's Komplete-ly gone :lol: Getting the big box on Tuesday. Free shipping, no tax... ah, life is good.

Kontakt offers scripting, for one thing. It also offers a much easier-to-use interface than EXS-24 when it comes to sample mapping and stuff. The biggest downside with NI stuff is that it requires a lot more processing power than EXS. A lot more.

Pardon my ignorance here, but what does Kontakt offers that EXS doesn't? It's an honest question, I have never used Kontakt.

That question is multi-faceted. On a basic level, it gives you access to boutique content that is only produced for Kontakt. For example, Bela D's Celtic Winds, etc. On the other end of the scale, it has a lot more capability to control sample playback parameters, particularly if you learn Kontakt's scripting language which is kind of like learning Logic's Environment. You can do similar things to the Environment there, but the advantage is that the scripting has hooks into the samplers engine too. Kontakt also has a full suite of effects including convolution, insert or send, which can be applied to individual sample groups. A built-in mixing engine, an array of envelope generators and modulators, the list goes on.

For electronic music, there's some neat features like Beat Machine which is a kind of Recycle built right into Kontakt. Or Time Machine for granular warping of samples like Ableton Live. There's more but that's a start.

But as its been mentioned already, all this doesn't come without a price in cpu hit.

I don't really know how my system will handle it, to be honest. I'll have to wait and see.

You'll be fine. For realtime audio work, we're just under the new Mac Pro Quad 2.66. The move to Intel chips did a lot for the video folks, but very little for the audio world. It's still a cycle to cycle comparison for most audio things.

its a proverbial no brainer. if you have the cash, the whole suite for 400 bucks, is great.

i'm on a macbook and have only run these synths in standalone.....which, by the way..right after you install and download all the updaters....you need to open all the apps in standalone first in order to build their library databases...

its not recommended to open as plugins first!

theres a huge amount of material to go thru and i've just had time to do a quick pass in each synth..

Most (if not all) the synths have a 'high' resolution' checkbox which roughly doubles cpu power in some cases. i'm finding i like the sound of a patch better in normal resolution in some cases and better in high in others

Redmatica has its Keymap suite of products designed for the editing, sampling and file management of the EXS24....and will be coming out with expanded coverage for Kontakt and a bunch of others.....but that'll be for snow leopard only.

Edited by Tapeworm

OK, so remind me again... which one represents what we have and which one the video guys have?

Ha! That depends on whose looking at your pics, ski! The video folks would pick the bicycle because they're never satisfied. Whether they have to wait 5 minutes for a render or 30 seconds doesn't matter. They'll still bitch that they have to wait!

Redmatica has its Keymap suite of products designed for the editing, sampling and file management of the EXS24....and will be coming out with expanded coverage for Kontakt and a bunch of others.....but that'll be for snow leopard only.

Incorrect:

---------------

Quote Andrea from Redmatica:

"We decided to take extra time to make sure all the applications will work amazingly well on the upcoming Snow Leopard OS X 10.6 from day one, and we will make use of some of its new performance features while still being compatible with Leopard OS X 10.5."

"Will you still be supporting PPC macs?"

"Yes, absolutely."

----------------

Any developer that produces product for Snow Leopard "only" is severely limiting the marketability of their product. Not a wise business choice, especially when your customers are primarily professional users.

Actually, it will run on Leopard and Snow Leopard. Andrea delayed the release in order to be snow leopard compatible from first release of Keymap 2.

Have a look here:

http://macosxaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=46533&sid=6e7054f2fea6ddfdc10ca485843421aa

yeah....i stand corrected...it was one of them leopards....

but still blows for me in that i use tiger

i don't pay enough attention to all of osx's capabilities to know if i can install a new os without having to do a completely new install of all my applications....forget about that rigmarole!

Just a little tip regarding the new Kontakt 3.5 update.

In order to benefit from the new expanded RAM access feature, I believe you need to check the little box from within the Kontakt plug-in called something like "Memory manager".

(Sorry, I am not in front of my studio computer at the moment)

As far as I can tell, the default position is with this feature turned off.

I am no Kontakt expert, so I am not sure if activating this function has any effect on performance, or if it makes more sense to switch it on only if too little RAM is a problem.

I would be very interested to have a more methodical tester such as SKI, Fader 8, or anyone willing, to report their findings.

Kontakt 3.5 is currently running fine on my system.

In the beta, it said to only use the KMS (kontakt memory server) if it was necessary. I sometimes had problems with crashes when switching sessions, on the beat and a couple times on the final, so I just turned it off. I do a lot of audio work, and I own Plogue Bidule which I usually rewire in for composition work anyway, so ram has not been an issue for me yet.