Simplest way to sample audio from a DVD?

There are a lot of copyright considerations that you're responsible for taking care of. Assuming you know that and are handling them, in your situation I would either just connect a DVD player's analog audio out to my audio interface, or use something like Soundflower to bring the audio from the DVD Player application into Logic.

Don't know why I didn't think of that. But now that I look at my interface it's only got 1/4, SPDIF, ADAT, MIDI & Firewire ins & outs. I am not too familiar with SPIDF but it seems like it's different from my DVD's only out which are XLR. This is probably a pretty simple solution. I feel technologically impaired ;-)

Hi there,

Download and install VLC player from http://www.videolan.org/. Insert your DVD, open it with VLC (open disk) and create a playlist of the items of the DVD. You should be able to figure this out easily.

From the File menu select Streaming/Exporting Wizard. Select Transcode/Save to File radio button. Click Next and select Existing Playlist Item or Partial Extract. Click Next and select the type of output. You obviously want audio so check Transcode Audio under Audio. From the drop down across Codec select Uncompressed, integer or Uncompressed floating point. Select the location and that's it.

You might get an error here and there, but for the most part it works pretty good. VLC is a mean little player, loaded with codecs and can play just about anything.

later,

George

Gdim,

Thanks of the link and the very precise instructions. I appreciate it. I t sounds like you recommend this over the Hijack software? Is it basically going to give me playlist/files of each individual chapter or can I divide it up in smaller sections like specific dialog/ monologue /phrases / etc?

Thanks again

I haven't used Hijack myself, but several times I had to extract audio from instructional DVDs made for our company and I used VLC. You should be fine, only prep the playlist or define a section to extract, otherwise you will end up with the audio of the entire DVD.

If you chose the .wav formats your audio segment is going to be 32bit/48K -- keep that in mind.

Check Audio Hijack, it's possible that it offers more options.

By "prep the playlist or define a section to extract" are you saying that once I insert the DVD this software will actually let me define specific seconds of the DVD to extract? And if so does it just ask me at what time code to extract the audio?

Thanks

All this tech, but for simplicity, just connect spdif to your interface, set the audio settings on your dvd player to pcm and your set to go. You can also use the toslink out from the dvd to the mac's internal sound card. Or the analog out for that matter.

The advantage to this method is that it will wind up as an uncompressed aif or wav (or caf file) instead of a compressed file that your computer extracted for "archival" purposes. You could use hijack I suppose, but it's not any easier than just recording it.

The output of VLC could be uncompressed, raw integer/floating point data - it's up to the user. The compression formats are available as well.

You can define segment to extract as time in the "from... to..." box. If you create a playlist from the chapters of the DVD then you select a chapter to extract.

You should try it - it's free, fast and a wide range of audio formats are available to chose from.