Quicktime X - lame

This is a little grumble, but also a question about where i can find a replacement for Quicktime Pro.

When cutting tracks I've mastered in Soundtrack Pro to videos, I used to use Quicktime Pro by stripping the audio from the original video, lining up my audio and then exporting the video in the correct format. I can't find a way to do that in Quicktime X. True you can trim, but pasting in audio from another file? Seems like there's no way.

Because I went from Tiger to Snow Leopard (clean install), I've lost my old Quicktime Pro application - normally when you upgrade to SL, Quicktime Pro is stored in the utilities folder so you can continue using it. But it isn't there, so I need to find another quick way of cutting together my audio with video and exporting it as a web-ready version.

Any ideas? I strongly dislike iMovie and it's new cumbersome way of editing, it's too slow for my needs, so I need something speedy...

You can install Quicktime 7 in Snow Leopard.

Insert your Snow Leopard DVD.

Choose "Optional Installs".

Install Quicktime 7.

You'll then need to enter your original "Pro" serial number to access all the features.

I agree with you about Quicktime X - definitely lacking in functions - maybe in the next update?

Richard

I found myself in a similar situation a few days ago. Talk about a buzz kill... And as Richard pointed out, at least Apple gave us the option to install QT 7 if needed.

After scouring the web as to why QT X was missing so many features, I came across this article. Interesting read about QT X and where it's heading. There is hope. :wink:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/6

I think the point of X is to begin a new. The features will come, but the quicktime framework is getting old. It's very powerful, but old. I think X is all new codebase, built for modern codecs. Give it time, and install QT7 Pro for the time being.

SnowLeopard has QT 10 and falls back to 7 for old codecs. Anyway, I think the issue here is not a framework with missing functionality, rather that the new QT Player does not have all the features that QT Player Pro had -- that's why the old one is shipping. iMovie could be used for more complex editing, too.

Including QTP 7 is simply a transitional step. Once the new player is fully developed, we will see 7 disappear. It doesn't even come preinstalled unless you upgrade and had QTP on the computer prior to the update.

Quicktime X is designed to support apple's new core technologies and should boost performance on every machine. Remember that QT was never really designed for the intel architecture. It was made to take advantage of the PPC architecture. Now, with the PPC-intel transition all but complete, starting a fresh code base with code that plays better with modern hardware and performs better in Snow Leopard is a no brainer.