I need a second display for my iMac, but which one?

My iMac is a 20" model. I would like a second display so I can move pedal boards, effects windows etc. over to the second display so they don't hide the arrange window. My desk is too small for another 20" display (which would be ideal) so I need a good display that is 15" and compatible with my iMac. My Mac has a mini display port. Any recommendations?

I would think any display would be compatible with your iMac with the right adapter (which you'll need because of apple's mini display port). Just start looking online for the right deal, and when you find it make note of whether you need to buy a VGA to mini display port cable or a DVI to displayport cable. Hope this helps

You would be crazy to get anything less than HD 1080 and 24" these days. I use an Acer 24" (Model # h243h-bmid) hooked to my MBP. There are now a lot of 24" monitors that are under $200.00 the Acer I got has a super fast refresh rate of 2ms for gaming, which I don't do often, but I do watch movies on it so I suppose it is good for that.

Try the obvious web sites like newegg, macconnection, geeks.com, tigerdirect, etc.

and check google for the models you find you like for reviews on them.

I use the mini display port to a HDMI cable from Apple to the Acer, my 22" Viewsonic I usually leave hooked up to my PC which is a MIDI instrument in my setup. I run as mirrored screens when using Logic, I use them as separate screens for graphics programs, only due to where my MBP is located in relation to the monitor, I have not run both together off the MBP, but back in the days of the early 1990's I had 5 monitors running off 1 Mac IIx! Loved to blow the minds of the PC guys back then, had the Apple 16" color display, 2 Radius 21" a rotating B&W monitor and an NEC 21" 6FGp, pretty amazing back then, today no big deal.

Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately a 24" display and a larger desk are out of the question for now because of the size of the room I work in and all the other things in it which is why I'm interested in a smaller display for now. I know, now days the general rule for displays is bigger is better and smaller displays are hard to find yet where will it end (6 foot displays)? There is a place for smaller displays but the market seems to be dictating otherwise, I guess.

David, my machine has a mini display port. I know adaptors are available for different connections I just didn't know if there is a particular display that has had a good reputation (always been on iMac's, MacPlus was my first Mac back in the "olden days" so I never had to buy a separate display). Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately a 24" display and a larger desk are out of the question for now because of the size of the room I work in and all the other things in it which is why I'm interested in a smaller display for now. I know, now days the general rule for displays is bigger is better and smaller displays are hard to find yet where will it end (6 foot displays)? There is a place for smaller displays but the market seems to be dictating otherwise, I guess.

You do realize that you can rotate your (new) monitor and set the screen 90 degrees.

http://www.samuelnova.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/screensetup.JPG

Or go above ...

http://members.cox.net/dallasdon/mysetupoct08.jpg

Thanks shivermetimbers!!!!! I had no idea you could do that. That changes my options tremendously! I have no idea how to set the new screen to 90 degrees but since it's possible it really changes my situation. It will also make the new display adaptable (more useful) to future set ups when my room size grows. Great! I appreciate the tip.

[edit] Addition: Thanks David, I scrolled right to the bottom and missed your input yesterday. I'll look into the Dell displays as well as other options.

Edited by Blue Monkey

Consider buying an arm, too. Some monitors don't allow you turn them sideways with the included stand, but you should be able to attach any of them to an arm, which you can attach to your desk, or a wall, or something else. That way also you can have the monitor hanging in space next to your desk, but clamped to the back edge of the desk. Looks pretty slick, too.

• 1 month later...
Resurrecting this thread to give you all my final results. I finally got my second display. Ended up with a 20" Samsung F2080 which does pivot 90 degrees but I found I was able to squeeze it into my current room/desk size horizontally. Sure is nice to see the whole arrange window and also be able to see piano roll, mixer and some effects all at the same time. Thanks for all of your input. Peace! Edited by Blue Monkey