Make the output the input?

Okay, this is a little strange, but I'm going to give you guys the whole low down:

I have some friends that posted a horrible video of them rapping on facebook, and I think it would be hilarious if I could get the sound clip of that video and stick put a beat to it. Is there a way that I could record the sound in logic? I was thinking, if there's a way, to set the input to record the output, so that way I can click record on logic, and then press play on the video and it will record the output, but that's just an idea. Is there anyway I can record the sound of that video (with out having to grab my mic and stick it to the speaker. It sound bad enough already how it is.)

Okay, this is a little strange, but I'm going to give you guys the whole low down:

I have some friends that posted a horrible video of them rapping on facebook, and I think it would be hilarious if I could get the sound clip of that video and stick put a beat to it. Is there a way that I could record the sound in logic? I was thinking, if there's a way, to set the input to record the output, so that way I can click record on logic, and then press play on the video and it will record the output, but that's just an idea. Is there anyway I can record the sound of that video (with out having to grab my mic and stick it to the speaker. It sound bad enough already how it is.)

I don't think the Admin approves of discussions about copyright violation and software hacking.

Why not ask your 'friends' for a copy?

I don't think the Admin approves of discussions about copyright violation and software hacking.

I don't quite understand how this would be considered hacking? It's not copyright material. It's a video of two of my friends they recorded with a webcam of theme rapping to a friend, and I just wanted to see if there's anyway I set the input to record the output of the computer itself, or if there's anyway I could get the audio of the video. I would imagine if a sound is coming out of the output of a computer, shouldn't it be able to record that output?

I don't quite understand how this would be considered hacking? It's not copyright material. It's a video of two of my friends they recorded with a webcam of theme rapping to a friend, and I just wanted to see if there's anyway I set the input to record the output of the computer itself, or if there's anyway I could get the audio of the video. I would imagine if a sound is coming out of the output of a computer, shouldn't it be able to record that output?

Technically, yes you can do that. There are many ways and very simple. However, the entire concept can be applied to copyrighted material as well. So hacking, in that sense is technically illegal to discuss in forums. Some forums discuss it and others don't.

The Admin should really consider including this in the forum rules. Other forums have it posted and actually ban posters for posing such questions.

Since this is really not a Logic related problem and also not a function Logic is designed for, I can only recommend you google for info about what you are wanting to do. I guarantee there are many audio/video capture programs out there.

Why can't you ask them for a copy?

Wanted it to be a surprise, just to throw a joke there way. I guess I could google, but I was hoping there was a way in Logic to set the audio config. To record with in the output of the computer. I was also thinking putting the output through the builtin output, plugging in an audio to audio cable from the headphone port to the mic port, but that´s seems like a big problem for something so simple.

Shive', that's ok, you can discuss software such as soundflower or audio hijack. I believe even copyright law has a clause for comedic purpose under its "fair use" umbrella, so what HMayoral proposes to do is perfectly legal.

True, the technique and or software is not illegal, but the purpose it is used for could be.

Otay Pankey

One way is to record the output of the computer to some external device (cassette, adat, whatever) then import it into logic.

IF you want to directly record it into Logic, use the outs to the ins of the audio interface. Insert and set up a stereo I/O plug into a stereo audio track.

Be sure the ins and out of the interface are turned down.

Use the input monitoring to monitor the levels thru the headphones (In fact, I would not recommend doing this with cheap or expensive monitors.

Do a few test runs to set the level and record away. When you are finished TURN DOWN THE INS/OUTS of the interface.

The level will most likely be low, but nothing a GAIN plug won't fix.

That is the basic idea. It's been there all along.

• 7 years later...

Dude, I know this post is over 7 years old. But I was looking for a new way to record my computer's output into Logic, and I found ShiverMeTimbers response to the OP.

That was probably one of the most brown-nosed white-knighting posts I've ever read. You had no idea how to accomplish the task, so you blasted him for a legitimate request by citing non-existent rules from "other forums".

That means the very nature of your response was to say: "I don't know how to do what you're asking, and I don't think the Mods know how to do their job".

Guess what pal... it doesn't matter what YOU think that Admin's should do. If you don't like it, go build your own website. But don't sit around here staring into mid-space, telling people what rules you think we should and shouldn't have. If you can't answer the question, mind your business.