BFD2 vs Superior Drummer 2 in Logic Pro 9

Was just wonderin'

I have MacPro quad core 2.66Ghz with 6 GB Ram:-

Will BFD2 be too much of a resource hog for my system and will I have to settle for Superior Drummer 2 with Metal Foundry add on ? (which may not be a bad thing)

I noticed while trying the demo of BFD 2 that on times the crash cymblas would choke/cut out. Is this really due to my set up not being powerful enough. I would be quite suprised if that was the case.

In order to help with any answers I would be using alongside BFD2/Superior Drummer 2 the following on a regular basis:-

Kontakt 4 - for the sounds obviously

Guitar Rig Pro 4 - or logic 9's inbuilt amp designer and sexy pedal board (just havent tested it yet)

My main productions would be in the heavy rock/metal genre.

Any assistance/opinions would be great.

Thanks

Edited by Blackfly

Hi ,

first please enter your system info to your signature 8)

To your Question:

Same MacPro with also 6 GB RAM here using BFD2 and Superior Drummer 2, no problems here.

I guess the demo of BFD2 has some bugs like cymbals chocking/cut as some earlier versions of BFD2 but they are fixed in the current full-version.

both BFD 2 and Sup Drum. can be CPU hogs dependimg on your I/O Buffer size

but there is enough headroom left so no problems running them on your machine.

Hope that helps 8)

Thanks for that mate. Now in your opinion which is it to be :)

BFD2 or S Drummer 2 ? I know its subjective but you must have a fav right?

Also what do you set you buffer size at when recording/mixing - Im normally 128 when inputting and I max it out when mixing.

thanks again

Thanks for that mate. Now in your opinion which is it to be :)

BFD2 or S Drummer 2 ? I know its subjective but you must have a fav right?

Also what do you set you buffer size at when recording/mixing - Im normally 128 when inputting and I max it out when mixing.

thanks again

Same approach on Buffer size here , works well

BFD2 or Sup2 ? Well, i have them both :)

They both are very flexible. As far as i know Sup2 is very good in companion with an e-drum kit, very "playable" .

Both come with a lot of MIDI grooves , Sup2 comes with EZPlayer Pro which is very usable with a lot of different Drum plug-ins.

Its really a matter of taste , they sound obviously different

Check out their audio demos and decide which one you like best.

* DISCLAIMER - I AM A FANBOY OF TOONTRACK PRODUCTS *

I am not suggesting one product over another.

But will tell you my honest opinion on Superior with the Metal Foundry Kit:

Extremely kewl product. I would recommend the Metal Foundry in a heart beat.

One reason is because it is so versatile -

Forget the fact that it sounds amazing!!

You can customize your kit with pieces from other Expansions and create your own Monstrous Kit!!

ok ... that is my 2¢ ... I'm stepping off the soap box now.

Take care!

Scott

HI

I use BFD2 on a G5 so I think that your mac could handle either plugin. I Love BFD2 and have a lot of the expansion packs so I can recommend it highly. One thing I would like to mention is there are more effects within BFD2 (I think superior only has 5), I find them invaluable because you can set up a kit/preset (with all the effects) and load it into your projects it really saves time and of course you can swap presets to see the difference. Once I am set, I can bounce down the individual parts and mix them properly.

With regard to the cymbals chocking, there is a setting (within the 'engine') to change the decay time of all the different elements. It is easy to change.

Whatever you decide to get I really recommend the Platinum Samples Joe Barresi expansion pack if you love your metal/rock drums you wont go far wrong. To add to that I have also got the glamoufage kit (Only for BFD2) and it really is amazing. I don't think I have heard better toms.

Callum