Logic's Orchestral Strings vs Others

I've downloaded all the EW sounds, and figured out how to record an instrument into LPX. If I close the LPX session, then go back to it later with the intention to edit the instrument sound within the EW Player window, the EW Play app doesn't link up with the MIDI track in Logic. How do I go about manipulating an EW sound--within EW--when returning to a Logic session?

Are you using the term "session" to mean a Logic project? What is "doesn't link up" supposed to mean? If you've assigned an EW instrument to a track using Play, the only way that same instrument wouldn't be assigned to that same track the next time you opened the project is if you didn't save the project before you closed it. That's not unique to EW; it's true of any instrument, by any manufacturer, including Logic's own instruments. If you've saved a project after assigning instruments, and you don't see those same instruments the next time you open that project, your file system is seriously faulty. If the EW instrument is still assigned, you can edit its settings just by opening Play using the same button you used to assign the instrument in the first place. It's in the same place it was when you assigned the instrument; it's also above all of the effects on the channel strip in the Mixer. Move the screen cursor over the "Play" button in either place, and it'll change its appearance. Click on the middle of the "Play" button, and Play will open, permitting you to change whatever settings are editable. This is basic Logic interface stuff.

948112760_ss2021-10-14at17_29_23.jpg.68f0570aaefd23e7e76bd1c020e71fa6.jpg

479733308_ss2021-10-14at17_29_33.jpg.efc342db649f86bd2624b2ece1675895.jpg

Thanks for your patience, Homina. I am a rank beginner at using external sounds in Logic, and I appreciate the help. Logic does retain the EW instrument track when I reopen the session. It plays fine. But let's say I want to now alter the attack of that MIDI information on that Logic track. I clicked play in the Logic mixer as you said, and I get this window:

window.thumb.jpg.99fa173c23b39d10ceb956c0c8842e7c.jpg

What I want (I'm pretty sure) is to get the EW window that has the Player function in such a way that I can alter the MIDI information that's already showing up in Logic.

Altering MIDI is not an instrument function. You alter MIDI data within Logic's piano roll. Depending on the instrument you use, you might be able to alter its attack, resonance, decay, release, or some instrument-specific parameters, but none of that affects the MIDI data that triggers that instrument, at all. The screen picture you posted shows the articulations available (e.g., legato, sustain, pizzicato...) for the chosen instrument (large string ensemble in your picture). Each articulation exists as a set of samples, which are triggered when a MIDI note is played with that articulation active. In the piano roll you can edit note velocity, note on/note off, note duration, expression, modulation, sustain, pitch bend, aftertouch, MIDI channel, MIDI volume, MIDI pan. You can also assign program changes and controls. None of that is done via instruments. It's all piano roll. Changes you make in the MIDI data via the piano roll will affect whatever instrument you assign to that track. The instrument you assign to a track, however, will have no impact whatsoever on the MIDI data in that track's piano roll.

• 2 weeks later...

"Ever seen a real 'player piano?'" Well, that punched roll of paper corresponds exactly to "MIDI."

And, believe it or not, some experimental composers "back in the day" were writing compositions by punching their own holes into those long rolls of paper. Yes, the very first "sequencer." They were purposely creating songs that were impossible for a single performer to play.