Can I pan frequencies?

I'm noticing a technique used in todays recordings that will pan the low parts of plucked guitar strings to the left channel and allow the high notes to pass to the right. I can't quite figure if that's two guitars playing the same part with R and L hard pan with LP and HP filters applied respectively, or if they are using a "crossover" type of effect.

Should I post an example? Anyone know of this technique?

I read that on Neil Young’s new album Daniel Lanois built him a guitar that split up the frequencies so they could be processed and panned separately.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129955938

I think fader8 showed a technique that used the multi-pressor to split a loop into 4 bands that could be processed and panned separately.

I hear two guitars as well. They probably didn't record them the same way, with the same mic, maybe it's not the same guitars and they're not EQ'ed the same etc.. they definitely don't have the same place in the mix: One guitar is present, loud, and toward the center, while the other is softer, not as bright and more to the side.