Routing Issue with new M Audio Venom Synth with Logic 9.1.3

Here is a pic of my current Audio Midi Setup:

{dead link removed}

Here are the screen shots of the "Sound Hardware" in the system preferences on my Macbook Pro.

{dead link removed}

http://i56.tinypic.com/9bc7yw.png

I'm not quite sure how the M Audio Venom should be routed in my set up. I downloaded the updated drivers and all so i am not sure that is the problem.

- I am using a Macbook Pro which is directed connected via usb to the M Audio Venom.

- My KRK 6s are plugged into my M Audio Fast Track Ultra which is connected to a hub which is then connected to my Macbook Pro

- My M-Audio Axiom 49 (2nd gen) is connected via usb to the hub (same as the Fast Track Ultra)

I am using Logic 9.1.3 32-bit. While in Logic i also checked the control surfaces & it doesn't seem to be there..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....apologies if this is an extremely basic question. my axiom 49 (2nd gen) was detected right away w/o a problem which is why this baffling me.

You failed to mention what the problem actually is.

1. Are you trying to record the sounds from your Venom or are you using it as an additional MIDI controller?

2. Do you get activity in the Transport Display under MIDI In/Out when you play the keys on each keyboard?

3. If you are trying to use the Venom as a MIDI controller and you want to play both of your controllers at the same time, then read:

Control Multiple Instruments on Different MIDI Channels

You failed to mention what the problem actually is.

1. Are you trying to record the sounds from your Venom or are you using it as an additional MIDI controller?

2. Do you get activity in the Transport Display under MIDI In/Out when you play the keys on each keyboard?

3. If you are trying to use the Venom as a MIDI controller and you want to play both of your controllers at the same time, then read:

Control Multiple Instruments on Different MIDI Channels

my bad scott, I am trying to record the sounds from the Venom into logic 9, but i still want to use my Axiom 49 (2nd gen) as a midi keyboard to trigger my Nexus2 sounds. Hopefully this can be done while playing out of my Krk 6s...

I am going to check out that link you left in #3.

Thanks for checking the thread out btw

the link you posted in #3 was extremely helpful thanks!

Everything is working through my Beyerdynamic dt770 headphones which i plugged into the headphone jack of the M Audio Venom.

I unfortunately can't get the sounds out of my monitors, which is why i tried the headphone jack on the Venom....any suggestions :roll:

thanks!

I unfortunately can't get the sounds out of my monitors

Is your interface selected in Logic Preferences>Audio>Devices>Core Audio as Input and Output device? And is the Enabled box checked? Check that.

Also, I believe (not positive) you need to connect your Venom's Audio Outputs to your interfaces Line In inputs to hear Venom on your monitors.

I am trying to record the sounds from the Venom into logic 9

You may (or may not) know this so I'll throw it out there. If you want to record the sounds from Venom you need to create an External MIDI track as opposed to using a Software Instrument track like you would with your Axiom.

yeah...i knew that one already (seems like a rare thing in this thread, lol)

I unfortunately can't get the sounds out of my monitors

Is your interface selected in Logic Preferences>Audio>Devices>Core Audio as Input and Output device? And is the Enabled box checked? Check that.

Also, I believe (not positive) you need to connect your Venom's Audio Outputs to your interfaces Line In inputs to hear Venom on your monitors.

here is how my preferences look:

http://i52.tinypic.com/167wcxt.png

as for the connection...i have 2 cables going from the two midi out's of the Venom to the Input 1 & 2 of the m-audio fast track ultra

:roll:

my system preferences for the sound on the macbook pro show this:

{dead link removed}

i appreciate the help so far!

Change the Output Device to M-Audio Fast Track Ultra

Oh yeah. And as an aside. Check the 24-Bit Recording box as well.

changed the settings like you said and still unable to hear the sounds out of my monitors...

I tried calling m-audio technical support however they are closed at the moment..

The configuration in the midi studio preferences is also still in question:

http://i53.tinypic.com/rlb8z5.png

I am having trouble connecting the fast track ultra to the venom. My macbook pro is not letting me revert the fast track ports so i can properly connect to the venom :?:

as for the connection...i have 2 cables going from the two midi out's of the Venom to the Input 1 & 2 of the m-audio fast track ultra

Above you stated that your Venom & Axiom were connected via USB. Now you are saying that the Venom is connected via MIDI cables. You don't need both. Just connect each keyboard via USB.

What I mentioned above...

I believe (not positive) you need to connect your Venom's Audio Outputs to your interfaces Line In inputs to hear Venom on your monitors.

...was regarding the Audio Outputs on the Venom (not MIDI outs).

• 1 month later...

You may (or may not) know this so I'll throw it out there. If you want to record the sounds from Venom you need to create an External MIDI track as opposed to using a Software Instrument track like you would with your Axiom.

ah shoot!! I had hoped this would solve MY Venom issues..but it didn't.

When I use a normal Software Instrument with the input set to External for my Nord, I'm able to record/playback MIDI to the Nord and hear the audio..Not so with the Venom...

Similar scenario, Scott.. Using a Nord Stage as my main controller into Logic. Have the Venom set up as well.. Don't want to do what David has posted..Just want to be able to record MIDI to/from the Venom with either the Nord, or using the Venom..What I'm getting is a nasty MIDI Loop when I hit a key on either keyboard. When using either a Soft Inst or the External Midi track, I can switch my Port setting to the Nord and not have an issue..I switch back to the Venom, and I get the Midi Loop.

The Venom (at least in ProTools), has 2 different kinds of MIDI controls available...see the 'Recording MIDI' screen shot. I've also posted my I/O settings...Do you see any redflags that might help me troubleshoot?

I have the Venom going directly to the MIDI Port 8 I/O on the front of my MOTU XT interface...Local off in the Venom, of course...

I'm confused :)

Thanks.

609260071_Screenshot2011-03-27at6_30_06PM.thumb.jpg.0e5958638a6f7fe6074f63fef7876146.jpg

AMS.jpg.2e6a10ecc024fe47173b93cea6e3ccdb.jpg

72422039_midioutports.jpg.fa394b42c0f1a558e74b319e74a55f08.jpg

976399301_MIDIIn.jpg.eb28e9b387d8616e7568524d76643f23.jpg

492464951_LogicEnvironment.jpg.48824bbb877cc86bc47cd3ccfaea28fe.jpg

and to semi answer my own question..I unplugged the USB connector, and it seems to work ok..Even record CC data from the knobs on the front *BUT*, typical logic..I can't seem to figure out how to access the info on the arrange page....

Still don't know WHY this is doing this tho...

• 2 years later...

Yo yo...howdy y'all...how are you DK? I am glad to find that I'm not the only one with Venom issues...

At the moment, I'm completely convinced that the physical MIDI ports in the back don't work.

The USB port immediately controls Logic, all is good in that way. I cannot get my MIDI Timepiece

to register any activity at the port I've connected the Venom to.

I really need the Venom to output MIDI because I'm re-connecting some older MIDI gear, and I want the

Venom to the controller for this 'mini-workstation'.

Any thoughts?

I will kick around some more scenarios, and see what's up...

best,

Henri

SubSonic Digital

Doh...just saw the Edit Global Value strip above the keyboard...pushed one button and the MIDI ports work.

Unfortunately, the choice is EITHER USB MIDI or physical MIDI ports.

Done...

Thanks for all the loving, emotional support...

:-)))

(I am truly glad this community exists though, without it, I'd be in tech hell...)

:evil: