EQ Dobro; Steel Bar Noise

I recently recorded a Dobro for the project that I am working on. Now I am working with that recording. When it was recorded, the mic picked up a ton of bar noise from sliding the steel bar across the smooth strings. :? I have found what I think is the noise in between 5 kHz and 10 kHz, but when I try to EQ the sound out, it only makes it a little better. I am new to Logic and it's plugins. Can someone tell me if there is some sort of plugin for my problem?

Thanks,

Cody

Without an mp3 to listen to it's hard to tell what you want to fix.

You say the noise is from playing on the smooth strings. Usually you don't get noise from the bar unless you are playing on the wound strings and honestly that's a good sound that gives the dobro part of it's personality.

A lot of times I'll just play a shimmer on a note to JUST get that sound. So if that's what you're trying to get rid of, I'd suggest to not let it bother you.

Sometimes on the high strings you can get a high freq glass type sound. You're not going to be able to remove that without changing the character of the instrument. You can either retrack with the mic a little farther back. You don't mention how you mic'd it. Details help. Usually a large condensor a few feet above the cone sounds pretty good.

You can also try to lo-fi the sound by running it through a guitar amp sim or drastically eqing it. Sometimes this can make the part sound like an old recording which is cool and it will make all the high end go away and take your problem with it.

Thanks for the advice.

guavadude: I am not talking about the sound from the wound strings. I agree with you that that sound gives the Dobro character. I think that what you referred to as the glass sound it closer to what I am talking about. I only get it on the smooth strings.

No chance. I've tried EQ-ing, Spectral Filtering, Izotope RX denoiser and MeloDyne, none of them come close to doing a clean job, they take too much of the rest of the sound with them. With IzoTope, a "solo" recording of the noise only (as a footprint for the denoiser to "learn") might have improved the results, but even then I'm skeptical. It's just too dominant, and too random, harmonically - or, to give it a name: white noise (mostly).

Rerecord, or just dampen with some ruthless High filtering/low passing. Also try to filter out the thump with a narrow-ish notch filter at 90 Hz.

3MP3sin1neatpackage.zip