Dave Hill's new preamp at AES show

Was lucky enough to talk to Dave Hill (Crane Song inventor) today about his new preamp at the AES show in London. This thing was amazing! The amount of sounds possible with it blew me away. It goes from super-super clean to really coloured all with complete control.

Also the 'speed' dial which he described to me as similar to 'slew rate' was incredible. He gave an example of an upright bass recording that was really clicky and had far too much attack so he dialled back the 'speed' dial and it really softened out the transients.

Thought you guys should all have a look. (the website is a bit...)

http://www.davehilldesigns.com/EUROPA_1.html

Nice, thanks for the heads-up. I'm pleasantly surprised that the Europa is still what I would consider 'affordable'. I would be willing to pay extra for digital out and compression, although that can always be added with other gear. Next step for me is to check one out in person.

- xpander

Yeah I think it is pretty reasonable. The speed control really doesn't act like a compressor though, I guess its a bit like a transient shaper, but again it's not quite like one of them either. You need to have a go on one.

I entered a competition to win one. its being drawn today. If I win, i'll put up some audio examples :D