Audio glitche during playback with motu Ultralite mk3 hybrid

Hi all,

I'm a new member because I recently buy a MMS 2011 + Logic pro 9 on the Mac App Store :)

Meanwhile I have a little problem with my MOTU board.

When I'm playing music on Logic pro or playback a mp3 song with my motu Ultralite mk3 hybrid I listen glitches on main audio output. I always listen the music but artefact are superposed on audio.

Theses glitchs are random and can be present upto once by second.

I tried to change the buffer size of logic but it has no effect.

Anyway the problem is present playing a video on YouTube :(, it's not a problem with Logic.

Configuration

- I use Mac os x Lion server.

- Ultralite is auto-powered by the mac Mini (FW 400 => FW 800 cable)

I'm searching on all forum since many days and have no answer to my problem.

Have you idea ?

Regards

Sebby2000

• 3 months later...

Before to change my configuration from Firewire to USB, I do some additional tests changing the clock source parameter. (I Playback Apple Loop in logic Pro directly from the media navigator)

Clock source : internal

sample rate : 44.1/48 => glitches

Clock source : SMPTE

When I change the clock source to SMPTE, the AppleLoop Playback works correctly without glitches.

The main problem is the logic sequencer which is completely desynchronized, my current project can playback (position of measure in transport panel is hazardous).

Clock source : Built-In Input / AUDIO IPC

Playback is OK

Sequencer is OK

What is the clock source you have to used with a Mac + MOTU + external Synth (recorded in Midi and Audio) ?

The clock source should be the Motu because you're recording and monitoring thru it. Did you try a Motu reset? There's obviously something going on with the interface.

Motu reset, what is the procedure ?

Any other idea ?

I think i didn't have this problem under window XP.....

Hi jordito,

Your question is good because, few minutes ago I tried the USB connection with my MAC mini and it seams the problem dissapear !!

I don't understand, bad firewire cables ???????

I bought a Mac Mini 2011 6 months ago to make music instead of Windows and buy the soundcard MOTU ultralite hybrid to have the system with the less problems (MAC + FIREWIRE + LOGIC) and take my time to make music (instead of driver debugging!!) and the result is a bit disappointing because I have to switch to USB to have stability what is the real problem ?

Most likely the problem lies in the FW800 to FW400 cable you're using.

But don't worry about using it through USB, that should be enough for most home studio needs (i.e., recording a couple of sources at a time).

If you want to use firewire no matter what, get a better cable or adapter.

J.

Concerning the FireWire cable, i didn't used the cable supplied with the motu because

It is FireWire 400 and not compatible with my Mac.

I bought a 400 / 800 cable but don't Know the quality of it.

What is the best choice if i want use firewire link ?

- use motu cable plus adapter 400 / 800

- use a new 400 / 800 cable

Regards

Sebby

• 4 months later...

Sebby2000, do not despair ...

attention:

The problem stems from the Mac (in my case Mac Mini 2011).

Apparently, as I read in various forums looking for Mac and Logic, the new models of Mac Mini (2011) have lowered the voltage Firewire.

I have the same problem with my new Track-16.

I can only work well in USB connection.

Either we change the computer model, or users of Mac Mini (2011) we can forget a Firewire connection powerful and efficient.

Only remains for me try to connect to an external HD Motu firewire 800 which is connected to the Mac Mini previously. I guess the external HD, to be powered via AC, will have enough voltage to the Motu.

Best regards.

PD:

Greetings to Jordito, which usually read in spanish forum ;-)

Hi Skelter,

I tried the MOTU powering according 2 ways: auto powered by Mac mini and power by AC power supply

=> problem is the same !

Some speak about firewire cable quality, I didn't use a "no name" but I can't guarantee it's a high quality cable.

No problem with USB but not really happy if Apple sell mac mini incompatible with firewire characteristics :(

• 7 years later...

Hi guys,

I'm with the same audio gltich problem when I playback at logic or any other player (youtube as well).

I'm using my Motu Ultralite MK3 with a USB cable (the original one tha came with the audio interface) and the original power suply in a Macbook Pro 2015.

Anybody knows what is happening?

Thanks!

RM

Could be USB acting up.

Can you test the FW port on your mk3 into the thunderbolt port of the laptop?

You would need adapters obviously.

I had the old mk1 Ultralite that was only FW and never had any issues. It actually is still getting used today in the studio as an aggregate device.

• 1 month later...