soundcard, monitors and logic question

Sup!

Right, just a question i need some help with related to my studio gear.

I have, a G5 mac, running Logic Pro 8, KRK Rokit 8's and a behringer umx MIDI keyboard

And I'm currently running 1/4 jack from my monitors, to phono into a 'phono to mini jack adapter' into the headphone socket on my G5.. (yes I know, its terrible isn't it?)

And basically, for one, i dont think that what i explained above, is anywhere near the best way to use my studio monitors, I have Traktor and the Audio 10 soundcard, is it best to use that to run my monitors and mac?

Trouble is... I have a MBP 15", (i use this for traktor) .. but i just havent been able to afford to get logic pro 9 on this yet, so just using my G5 and logic 8. How ever, i cant run traktor on my G5 because it requires core duo processer etc, im just thinking, can I still JUST use the Audio 10 soundcard with my G5?

If so, please can someone explain how to set up my monitors and G5 and logic to run with the soundcard, and also, what cables to use. I use XLR to TRS/1/4 jack for my monitors to my mixer, when im djing.

Hope someone can help!

Let me know if i need to explain anything more,

Thanks!

Have you checked there?

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/dj/traktor-audio-10/overview/details-setup-examples/?type=99

To be honest, I don't know the connections (USB, MIDI, Firewire, etc) implemented on your Audio 10 card or on your G5...

I would however assume that you know what I am talking about...

It seems USB would be the route for what "googled".

There are surely documentation that came with your Audio 10. I would look there first.

On the Logic 8 side, the documentation that is of interest for you could be found at p.88 of the following document:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Logic_Pro_8_User_Manual.pdf

Normally, you would connect your Mac to your Audio 10 via (USB2 or Firewire if available, the latter preferably), providing that you have installed the proper drivers on your G5, assuming these are available (contacting Native Instrument support might be necessary).

The Audio 10 would feed your monitors and your earphones via discrete cables, hence different outputs suited for their proper impedance.

Using XLR cabling between your Audio 10 and your KRK (monitors) is a good idea to prevent interferences in a public venue. Idealy, both ends should be XLR connectors...

You could also find invaluable info on settting up your system on chapter 4 (p.81) of the Logic 8 manual (above url).

It's pretty much I can do for now...

Hope that helps a little!