Logic Pro X and Logic Remote Now Available

I don't know what is up with those level meters either. They've been put on a serious diet and are now truly squint-worthy:

meter.png.8ad1a7739fe1defbaf53b36f4e0c48e0.png

The .tiff files in the Resources directory are still for the LP9 style meters, which probably means that these graphics have been integrated into the binary somewhere. Bah!

The .tiff files in the Resources directory are still for the LP9 style meters, which probably means that these graphics have been integrated into the binary somewhere. Bah!

They are not segmented, so they are probably drawn programatically (ie not from bitmaps, but from code).

Me: "Hello Mr Logic Developer. Nice work on LPX, looking pretty good so far!"

LogicDev: "Thanks!"

Me: "It looks like you didn't put the ability to manage plugins in LPX - you know, have your most used tools to hand, and your seldom used ones at the back of the room kinda deal. What's up with that?"

LogicDev: "Well, as ever, we need to prioritise development and have a large to-do list with finite resources. In this case, we were going to do it then Dave realised that what we really needed more importantly was a second plugin copy of the Clavinet instrument, only with bigger buttons. So it got shelved. Still, LPX2 will be out sometime in Summer 2017, so you might wish to wait until then..."

Me: "Ok. Thanks. Like... just... thanks."

LogicDev: "Did you see we also did a bigger ElePiano too..? That was my idea..."

Me: "Yeah. Thanks."

LogicDev: "You're welcome! Glad you like our most advanced Logic Pro yet!"

LogicDev: "Um.. Do you like Organs..? Because we..."

Note: Some or all of the above may be entirely fictitious, and Apple in no way acknowledge the possibility or promise that third-party plugin organisation may or may not be in LPX2.

Edited by beej

... I'm a bit stunned, hahah! Had to skim 90% of that article before I decided it wasn't a hoax.

Currently trying to reserve judgement based entirely on its Garageband-like interface.

In TOTAL SHOCK!!!! I'm downloading it now... Don't worry about the GUI... I expected they would dress it up. Remember everyone said the same thing about Final Cut Pro X when it first came out. They said it looked liked iMovie. But believe FCPX has made my life easier and I am very excited about the new LPX!

I couldn't find any mention of OpenCL and there's no banner about being great on the new Mac Pro like there is on the FCPX page, so I'm guessing Logic Pro X has no OpenCL support. :(

Very excited to see the new track stacking though. I hope they also brought improvements to Quick Comp. And *finally* a Logic iPad remote!!

Roll on LPX.0.1 :mrgreen:

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to wait for a couple of bug-fix releases to go by until it's usable.

Oh, and the channel strips in the Environment are still LP9 style, that's why those .tiff files are still there. As responsive as the UI is now, there are a number of really bad things in it - kind of a "botched facelift". It doesn't really look like an Apple product.

I see the caps lock keyboard is now, a la GB, the "Musical Typing" keyboard.

Ugh..! I see why they have to do this, but it does kinda undermine things for a Pro product to divulge into fun, kiddy type descriptors (yeah I know, this function isn't exactly a Pro function anyway, but still... it does rankle...)

Anyway seems to be lots of small improvements as I look through it... Although Logic is starting to lose some personality and look less like Logic and more bland and like other DAWs - that was probably intentional. I do like the new mixer though...

Edited by beej

A paradigm is unfolding before our eyes.

So long EVP88 (GUI) ... 12 years ... I'll miss you my friend... 8)

The manual says if you hold Option while clicking the Input slot, it lets you select the "Legacy" plugins.

So they are probably still there...