Logic Pro X and Logic Remote Now Available

Actually Logic is a bit under-done. The built-in plugins just don't do the new interface any justice.

Thats the only disappointment I have with logic, i got so used to the metadata no-tracks approach in FCPX I was hoping they'd do something completely different.

I don't think DAW work can really translate into a connected clips concept, if that's what you're saying…? :?: :?

Probably not, but at least to an extent. I.e. some non-destructive clip-based processing from FCPX would be nice.

And some extent of low-level integration with FCPX, as in, "sent this project to logic pro" and a dynamic link in fcpx for audio project in Logic Pro. Whoa.

up to now, there hasn't really been an example of a big app having a major version update in the mac app store.

All that will happen (for major paid-for versions) is the same as what's already happened - the old version will get removed for sale from the App Store, and the new version, whatever it's called, will replace it.

The next version of Logic will probably be called Logic Pro 11 or Logic Pro X2 or something else - whatever it's called, it doesn't really change much.

Continuing from this, I wonder what they will do when it comes to the next major update. Will it be a separate paid-for app called "Logic Pro XI" or continuing free updates to "Logic Pro X" ...up to now, there hasn't really been an example of a big app having a major version update in the mac app store.

It seems reasonable to assume that Logic Pro XI, like Logic Pro X, will be a new $199 purchase, and that there will be no upgrade path. Apparently that's the new Apple model.

I guess this announcement is what it takes for me to even think about Logic and visit the forum - no offense meant, it's just that my life interests have changed and I'm not making music (or even spending much time) with a computer these days.

But when I get back into it.... which will probably be in a few years everything will have changed again. I'm just happy that my Metric Halo ULN-2 basically works well as a standalone preamp, converter and clock, and with it's Toslink, spidf, and WC connectors, I feel my investment is protected. Make note of this, y'all.

Enough about me, what about Logic X? My opinion is that the eye candy sells software and it's not going away, but if you know anything about product development cycles, a lot of these decisions were probably made while Apple was heading in the skeumorphic UI direction. Now things have changed. I personally loved the "old" Waves plug ins with the simple grey interface, mostly sliders instead of "knobs" and direct numeric input of most parameters. The visual amp sims and stompboxes? Close your eyes and toggle the bypass switch and they sound like distortion/high boost/phaser, whatever... I'd rather have a consistent interface and more power to the CPU being used for sound, not visual. That said, those images $ell software.

If I was working with Logic today, I'd consider an upgrade after a few bugfix releases and some hesitation because I am very happy and stable on 10.6.8 for the following reasons:

ipad Remote - if it works, of course.

Alternatives - I've needed snapshots since it was removed from Logic 6. Huge part of my workflow that I had to work around with Save As and bounces. This may be it, but it may be the same as Save a Copy, which saves your current work under a name you give it, but keeps the current doc open. Like Save As and then opening the one you Saved As to keep working. Anyone have input on that?

Drummer I've actually been thinking about something like this after 20+ years of programming drums from early drum machines (808) to Logic. I want a songwriter accompanist drummer and was researching Drumcore and others, so this would be worth the $200.00 to me.

I think that Apple did a good job of adding a variety of features that will attract both new and existing users, pro, prosumer, and beginners to go for this at 200 bucks. There will probably some promise that will attract you to switch. I know that I left my very comfortable and skilled workflow in Logic 7 because I wanted flex and in the end, I don't use flex much.

So, I think the planets are aligning again.

Ive revived our old "band", I sold some old gear, streamlinging, and then POOF!

I see this Logic X splash / info on the Apple site! I mean, was it JUST put up?

WOW

I guess the normal questions, mates:

1. Did ANYONE upgrade yet? And what are you running / how is it going?

2. Plug Ins... ONLY 64 bit? or will this still launch the 32bit mode window? (ive got so many).

Thats all for now!

Good to be back, new music in the works, new toys.... summertime.... i like this. I hope the new version is a smooooooth sailing hit for us.

Aesthetically at least, ... i DO like what i SEE.....

VINCE

:)

OH come on, logic remote is ios 6 only... Is my old 1st gen iPad really that obsolete?

@vm1971: no, no more 32bit window.

Frankly I'm happy, I hate the 32bit bridge. I've been systematically switching to 64bit plugins, i don't think i have any 32bit left.

So, I think the planets are aligning again.

Ive revived our old "band", I sold some old gear, streamlinging, and then POOF!

I see this Logic X splash / info on the Apple site! I mean, was it JUST put up?

WOW

I guess the normal questions, mates:

1. Did ANYONE upgrade yet? And what are you running / how is it going?

2. Plug Ins... ONLY 64 bit? or will this still launch the 32bit mode window? (ive got so many).

Thats all for now!

Good to be back, new music in the works, new toys.... summertime.... i like this. I hope the new version is a smooooooth sailing hit for us.

Aesthetically at least, ... i DO like what i SEE.....

VINCE

:)

vm1971 ?? meh...what kinda effin' idiot has a username like that anyways :roll: :P

i'm sorry, but this counter-argument over pricing is getting a little tired....

I personally think the counter, counter-argument is getting just as tired as well. :)

I don't think DAW work can really translate into a connected clips concept, if that's what you're saying…? :?: :?

Isn't that basically what Ignite is? It seems to be more of a think-pad, non-linear way of recording.

Drummer I've actually been thinking about something like this after 20+ years of programming drums from early drum machines (808) to Logic. I want a songwriter accompanist drummer and was researching Drumcore and others, so this would be worth the $200.00 to me.

Strike has done this, probably better, for at least five years now. It has infinitely more styles. The caveat- it is a RTAS and soon to be AAX only proposition. This is a major reason why I hope the little blurb on Apple's website concerning AirMusicTech supporting AU is a very soon to be reality...

I've needed snapshots since it was removed from Logic 6.

There were snapshots pre-Logic 6? I cannot remember... what were they called? Something to do with the project manager maybe? I never used it....

Mixer snapshots, and you could choose what would get remembered. Great for my workflow and creating "turn on a dime" complete changes to the sound of the music. I would mix in sections and have these incredibly abrupt changes in timbre. (I know, but that was my thing...) In fact, you had to plan in the time it took the mixer to pop to all the new settings. I don't think it worked for plug in settings, but duplicating tracks/channel strips and muting would do the same thing. Now I just do it all as bounces, but not as fun. Maybe this ended in Logic 5. I know I was using it in 1998-9 and I was always current in Logic until L8.

I am very excited about LPX and the features that it brings to the table for me are great. My biggest disappointment is that it requires OSX 10.8.4 that will not install on my current MP. I installed it on my MBP and I am exploring the new/revised feature set. To Apple and all of those who participated in bring this to the table, a big Thank You. CS.

everyone gets that logic is now so cheap that we should all just shut up and be happy, but it's not JUST about getting things cheaper per se, but a reward for continued loyalty and support

it's like saving up your pizza delivery loyalty stamps and going to cash in your 50% discount on a 12-inch deep-crust hawaiian....when you get to the shop they tell you that the voucher is no longer valid, but not to worry, the pizza now costs half the price it used to anyways...so anyone coming in on a whim to buy a pizza now gets it for the same price as you , despite you spending the last 6 months ordering your pizza from this company

While a valid point, I don't see how it can come as a surprise to anyone who has paid any attention to Apple's model over the past several years. When's the last time Apple offered upgrade/loyalty pricing on, well, anything?

everyone gets that logic is now so cheap that we should all just shut up and be happy, but it's not JUST about getting things cheaper per se, but a reward for continued loyalty and support

it's like saving up your pizza delivery loyalty stamps and going to cash in your 50% discount on a 12-inch deep-crust hawaiian....when you get to the shop they tell you that the voucher is no longer valid, but not to worry, the pizza now costs half the price it used to anyways...so anyone coming in on a whim to buy a pizza now gets it for the same price as you , despite you spending the last 6 months ordering your pizza from this company

While a valid point, I don't see how it can come as a surprise to anyone who has paid any attention to Apple's model over the past several years. When's the last time Apple offered upgrade/loyalty pricing on, well, anything?

i didn't say i was surprised, just that i understand people being a little pissed off about it

as for upgrade pricing, i'm pretty sure i paid upgrade prices going from 7 to 8, and then 8 to 9...i also didn't pay full retail for '7' :wink:

Does anyone know if there is a truly technical reason 10.8.4 is required or was this more a business decision?

Usually that type of decision is made not for business reason but for quality assurance reasons. For example they may have harnessed some of the features of 10.8.4 and running Logic Pro X in older OS would make it sluggish. In that case the decision is to avoid disgruntled customers by preventing a situation where LPX wouldn't be at its best performance.

It;s great. I am very glad that it is an evolution and not some radical redesign. The one thing I am impatient about is what Redmatica are going to bring to the table - a new sampler/sound design app? Maybe now that X is out of the door, they can turn their attention to this tantalising prospect?

It's strange that Jony Ive let this out the door, as part of his job is to make sure all the products have a consistent aesthetic tone for the Apple brand. The mixer faders especially bug me. It's like all the other Apple products have gone on to form New Wave bands, but Logic Pro X didn't get the memo and walks in the room in an even more outrageous disco outfit shouting, "Hey dig it! Who wants to groove??"

It;s great. I am very glad that it is an evolution and not some radical redesign. The one thing I am impatient about is what Redmatica are going to bring to the table - a new sampler/sound design app? Maybe now that X is out of the door, they can turn their attention to this tantalising prospect?

That actually bugs me, its what I love the most about FCPX.

It's strange that Jony Ive let this out the door, as part of his job is to make sure all the products have a consistent aesthetic tone for the Apple brand. The mixer faders especially bug me. It's like all the other Apple products have gone on to form New Wave bands, but Logic Pro X didn't get the memo and walks in the room in an even more outrageous disco outfit shouting, "Hey dig it! Who wants to groove??"

What bugs me they half-assed the plugins, all old plugins still sport the interface almost the same as in Logic 7. Seems to me that it was a bit rushed anyway...

This is the best software release of the year. I have been using logic for years, and this is definitely the most comprehensive rebuild yet!

I viewed a couple of tutorials at macprovideo.com (how did they get 7 full courses out the same day the program was released?) and am very interested in some of the new features. The remote ipad is awesome. the new b3 with morph blows my mind. the clav and epianos have always bothered me on any daw, but these actually are starting to sound good. The latch automation on the remote is simple and effective. so many great features.

I can't help but laugh though at how bang on macprovideo was with their april fools day jokes about new releases :lol:

"drummer" hahaha

http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/Adobe/phoenix-pro-the-tech-behind-mpv-april-fools-video-2012

http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/macprovideo/world-exclusive-logic-revealed