Cymbal Chokes in Logic Pro 8

Hey there fellow Logic Pro users. I record drums using Logic's sequencer. I'm wondering if there are samples of cymbal chokes in Logic Pro 8? I've look through the EXS24 but I didn't find anything. Perhaps I over looked it. If not, is it possible to get cymbal chokes by using a standard crash cymbal sample and tweaking the release slider in EXS24? I don't know. :?

Hey Jahawk,

Yea... I don't think the release slider is gonna give you what your looking for.

Your gonna need real cymbal choke samples.

For me, I created an EXS24 instrument called "Cymbals" It has all my favorite crash samples (which is about 4 out of the 4 thousand I went through to find them), choke samples, crescendos, etc. I find that it works out best to have a track for cymbals so that they can be processed separately. (Read up on "NYC Compression", cymbals love it!).

There are a lot of free samples out there, unfortunately most of them are s#!+.

There was a Gentleman named Doru Malaia that offered some very affordable drum sample collections (read $29), as well as many huge, free collections.

When I searched to find you a link, I was very saddened to find out this very generous man, that helped so many musicians around the world had passed away. Really bums me out... Do you know how long it takes one dude to chop up all those samples with tender loving care? His love for music was obvious, and he will surely be missed.

So in the spirit of Doru's giving way... I thought I would put together a small set of cymbal chokes to get your EXS24 instrument started.

I hope one of them works and it helps you make some good music. It's all about the music!

Doru Malaia R.I.P.

CymbalChokes.zip

thanks doug941 for sharing those great samples from Doru.

Yeah. I figured that out when I tried moving just about every slider in the sampler. It just didn't work. Thanks for the great sounding samples doug941. That's just what I needed. You rock! :D

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...