New song from me

MrSpock

2 mins & 28 secs in total. Just lookin' for some feedback on this one as I've been 'out of the saddle' for a while and am now trying to get back into songwriting plus the whole recording/production side of things. Any opinions greatly appreciated. TA!

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/super-8/note-in-my-pocket[/soundcloud].

Edited by MrSpock

Any idea how you embed a Souncloud play bar in a post?

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/super-8/note-in-my-pocket[/soundcloud]

You paste the link, highlight it, then press the "SoundCloud" button above the text box. If you quote this post, you'll see how I did it.

I think the mix sounds generally really good, but a couple of problem areas stick out for me:

I can take a pitchy vocal, but the timing is distractingly off. Even lazy parts have to be tightly lazy, and each overdub should be spot-on, though spot-on might be ahead or behind the beat.

The vocals have too much sibilance, needs a bit more de-essing, and there is a pop or two in there.

I would bring the vocal down in level a bit too, it feels a bit "tacked-on", rather than sitting in the music.

The drums lack beef. There's very little bass to the kick and snare.

The lead guitar fill at around 1'50" wants to be much more prominent, to my ears. It feels like it should be obnoxiously loud.

Hope that helps!

Cool critique Rev! Thanks VERY much for taking the time out to offer such a detailed account & analysis Sir- much appreciated!

'PHEW!' ... where to begin?! Looks like I have my work cut out (and there was me thinking I was done He! He!) That said, I'm here to learn so 'bring it on'!

- OK ... I'm really not sure what I can do about the TIMING issues you've mentioned (aside from starting again from scratch - I was playing to a click too "D'oh!")

- As for my VOCALS ... well, for starters, I don't use any kind of Auto-Tuning (I don't know how to & personally I feel the whole A.T. thing is a bit of a cheat really!) No 'De-essing' was used either (again, I don't know how to use it!) so I guess it's a 're-sing' for this one (especially considering pitching issues have been mentioned now in the 2 out of 2 comments so far to date - obviously we (I!) have a problem Houston!)

Where DRUMS are concerned, as you can see in the accompanying DIY vid I put together for this one, I'm stuck with an old e-kit (I would love to have a decent acoustic kit but there's already enough complaints from neighbours this end - don't wanna end up with an ASBO!) To get a drum sound I currently just take a stereo out from the brain (an old Roland TD6) going directly into a stereo channel strip in Logic. I set my max level, hit record & just play along in real time (NB: No MIDI was involved as, again, I'm not au fait with that either!) I think the brain preset I used for this song was '04 Jazzy' - no processing was used other than any built-in processing in the brain's preset itself.

As for the 'lead' GUITAR ... as with most of the stuff I do, I was just winging it!

Again, thank's very much for the critiques so far on this one folks, keep 'em coming - it's the only way to learn! As you can see from my accompanying vid, working solo I'm trying to wear a lot of hats this end (too many?!) I'm just learning and feel I have a long way to go!! I'm trying to use this song as a sort of template for future songs which will hopefully enable me to move forward both as a writer and recorder/producer - I need to get to a stage where the means of production feels 'natural' and almost invisible in order to concentrate on the music which is 'my bag'. As such I'm really hoping to get this one sounding as good as it possibly can (obviously within my limitations as a performer & also just using the gear I have available to me - there's no budget left for future 'must have' gear acquisitions so I just need to knuckle down & make the most of what I've got (ie: the musical instruments you see in the vid plus my MiniMac running Logic Pro 9).

Anyway, I really appreciate anybody taking the time out to help point me in the right direction here as, to be completely honest, I'm definitely more of a Writer than I am a Perfomer/Engineer/Producer - I do struggle very much struggle when it comes to the whole technical side of things but I'm hoping to learn from my mistakes and get better - that's what it's all about eh? To date, I'm STILL using Logic like a (big!) portastudio & making it up as I go!

This is a great site by the way!

[YouTube]

" rel="external nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
[/YouTube]

Cool critique Rev! Thanks VERY much for taking the time out to offer such a detailed account & analysis Sir- much appreciated!

You're welcome Spock! :D

Here's another forum tip; to embed a YouTube video, you only need the part of the url after "v=", if you quote my post you'll see what I mean:

- OK ... I'm really not sure what I can do about the TIMING issues you've mentioned (aside from starting again from scratch - I was playing to a click too "D'oh!")

Yeah, I'd do them again. Think of it like playing the drums, you want every syllable to hit at just the right time. Don't worry about tuning correction, just keep doing takes until you think you've sung it as best as you can. I like the Verve quality to your voice, and you sing like an angel compared to me! :lol:

To de-ess, use Logic's compressor. I've attached an image to get you roughly in the ball park. Solo the vocal track, click on the little disclosure arrow at the bottom of the compressor, then set it to "listen", copy my settings and play with the frequency and Q (which is how broad a range of frequency the compressor will react to) until you can hear just all the "S", "T" and "Th" sounds. Once you've got that, change from "listen" to "on" and play around with the threshold and ratio.

DeEss.png.78ae38dc4141e9b647dff83362670f79.png

De-essing is definitely something worthwhile to get your head around if you're recording vocals.

[EDIT: just saw that Largerfeldt has produced a tutorial video for this... SCORE! :lol: viewtopic.php?t=39794 ]

Where DRUMS are concerned, as you can see in the accompanying DIY vid I put together for this one, I'm stuck with an old e-kit...

Does your brain have a midi out socket?

(I meant your drums brain, it'll be a few years till people have midi out sockets in their brains :lol: )

it'll be a few years till people have midi out sockets in their brains :lol: )

Not too far off for those who are willing participants (and maybe for those who are unwilling as well).

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/02/tech/innovation/cyborg-neil-harbisson-implant-antenna/

Personally, I would never willingly subject myself to an implant that changes my perception of the world. I didn't even allow my cats to have tracking chips implanted in them. Too unnatural for my beliefs.

it'll be a few years till people have midi out sockets in their brains :lol: )

Not too far off for those who are willing participants (and maybe for those who are unwilling as well).

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/02/tech/innovation/cyborg-neil-harbisson-implant-antenna/

He did the same music degree course as me! :D

He left the year I started though, I've never met him.

Personally, I would never willingly subject myself to an implant that changes my perception of the world. I didn't even allow my cats to have tracking chips implanted in them. Too unnatural for my beliefs.

Everything is a product of nature, Scott :wink:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention my soiree with MIDI drums! I did try hooking up via MIDI for a short while but suffered all kinds of horrible latency lag issues (and, as a result, moving stuff around a la 'Tetrus' mode post recording!) It well & truly did my head in hence me just going back to recording in 'real time'. I definitely prefer playing in real time! Edited by MrSpock

OK, well ... if you think so. I will perhaps try the whole MIDI drum thang again (but this time in a better frame of mind with renewed vigour - it pretty much buckled my head the last time I tried to do anything rhythmical MIDI-wise but I'll try again!) Thanks again. CHEERS!

Re:

I'll try again!

Hmm! It's all come flooding back (but not in a good way!) I'd pushed it to a dusty corner of my memory but, once again, it's now at the forefront! What am I talking about?? Yeah, MIDI drums - they drives me nuts (or maybe 'it's just me'!)

Thing thing is, yes, you're right Rev - MIDI Drums DO sound (way!) better than the preset kit sounds in my drum brain! Perhaps not all MIDI drums per se but definitely the software package I have available to me namely: 'ABBEY RD '60s DRUMMER'. There's no contest really, this 60s Drummer software wins hands down HOWEVER .....

It doesn't seem to be compatible with my set up! There's no change since the last time I used it - it's just CONSTANTLY crashing on me to the extent where I just can't get ANY kind of work flow going whatsoever. Not your problem I know but it would be great to find a solution so that it 'just works' - I'd be very grateful if you could help get this up'n'running properly!

Here's the error message I'm constantly getting every 10 bars or so recording or playback:

'LOGIC PRO: Disk is too slow or System Overload (-10010)

The Sudden Motion Sensor may have parked the hard drive or the disk performance is not sufficient to read or write all audio tracks or the system was not able to process all date in time'.

I remember this one from last time I tried to incorporate MIDI drums and, after two abortive sessions with my (at the time!) 'wonderful' (or so I thought!) brand new drumming software I ended up just throwing the towel in and going back to the stock presets inside my external drum brain. Now that the drum sound I'm getting on my recordings have been brought to my attention (ie: need work!) I would love to re-record this tune (and future tunes from here on in) with the better drum sounds available through the MIDI but I'm really impatient - it just needs to work or I lose the will to live when it comes to stuff like this! Again, any thoughts as to how I can get up and running with this would be VERY much appreciated as I'm definitely more of 'a player' than a technical person (as you may have gathered by now!)

PS: Further technical info - My platform for running this '60's Drummer' software is 'KONTAKT PLAYER'. I've been using the MIDI preset kit: AR60s LATE KIT FULL.nki because it sounds the best to my ears however it seems to really hog ... everything! ALSO ... I have to switch the MIDI Channel to: (A) 10 for it to work PLUS it doesn't seem to recognise my RACK TOM 1 either! (Other than that it's brilliant!!!)

Ah, but I was thinking of recording the drums exactly the way you are now, except you also record midi to an empty software instrument track. No trying to play back samples in real time, just getting that midi information (which is tiny, and shouldn't stress your system at all) into Logic.

Then after you've recorded everything you can increase your buffer in Logic and use that midi to use whatever drums you want. At this point latency doesn't matter, because you don't have to play along to it.

Dig?

I've been in (a) Bath a few times. Seriously, if I'm ever down in your neck of the woods I WILL buy you a pint or five for this - you have seriously helped me out here my friend! (I just wasn't understanding the principles here - I was trying to record drums using MIDI in real time = "D'oh!")