Soul/Funk/Jazz track made in Logic. Some tips.

ct1

Hello.

Like many, I’ve done my best here to try to achieve a multi acoustic instrument context with only samples and a midi keyboard (and, right, some singing). If you happen to be interested in this kind of problems/solutions, you can go the Music production>Tips and Tricks section “Realistic multi-instrument context with MIDI alone: share your tips.” where I expose my methods and would like to hear about yours. Thank you very much.

All MIDI-ed, recorded, mixed down with logic’s tools except:

Vocals’ channel strip

String samples

Any comment welcome. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I think that both this song and this video have very nice continuity, imaginative development throughout, and a tidy sense of closure. I can't easily comment as to the fine points of the mix but I'm quite sure that others very soon will.

One thing that I miss, almost categorically in songs in certain genres these days, is ... bass. "What are those cellos and double-basses doing over there on the right side of the orchestra?" They're laying down a very deep foundation, often composed of long legato whole-note phrases, that broaden the sonic depth of the composition and help to propel it along. And, if some of them stray from the usual tonic/dominant and drift into dissonant harmonies, they can quickly make the whole thing sound more tense or more exotic without getting in the way of your melody.

These parts can, in fact, be relatively quiet. But now your song is very clearly present, and moving both with and against itself, in all three registers: treble, mid, and bass. There's now another rhythm, texture, and sense-of-movement going on "in the background." I think that your excellent composition might benefit from these notions.